Eighty-Eight Talk about the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight within...

Replacing Oil Pump

Old 09-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Default Replacing Oil Pump

Before I go ahead and replace the oil pump I'd like some input on other possibilities. I have a 1996 Olds 88 LSS with 174K miles on it. The other day I was driving and the low oil pressure came on.

This has happened before when driving long distances and stopping at a light, I replaced the switch and it seemed to go away until now. So I ignored the low pressure light and soon I started to hear knocking and after about two minutes pulled into a parking lot where the car died before I could take a look at where the noise was coming from. Well needless to say the car wouldn't crank over so I thought the engine seized up.

Got it towed home and pulled out the plugs and took off the belt to see if I can turn the crank with a breaker bar, that was a no go. So since it was late I sprayed some PB Blaster in the spark plug holes up front (couldn't get to the back with the can) to see if it helps overnight. In the morning the car cranks over and I can turn it with a breaker bar easily.

My question is will replacing the oil pump fix the low pressure issues or is there something else? And what do I need to do to replace it? I've read that the engine needs to be raised but is there any other way? A detailed replacement guide would help if anyone knows of one online.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 AM

If you have run the engine with no oil pressure for more than a few seconds you will have more issues than just the oil pump.You need to inspect the bearings on the crank at least.
At 174k the engine will be showing general wear anyway, maybe time to replace it or remove it for a complete overhaul.
There is no rocket science involved, a Haynes or Chiltons manual would be your friend for this job.

Roger.