Eighty-Eight Talk about the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight within...

Wheel bearing removal question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 PM

I have a 97 olds 88 and When I am at high speeds it vibrates horribly. When I turn the wheel it is worse than when I turn it the other way. I cannot feel any play in the tire when jacked. Do you think it is the wheel bearing? I have tried to remove the wheel bearing and I can not get it off the threaded rod(axle,I think?). When I have taken a hammer to unseat from the housing it comes loose but not all of the way out becouse it is still on the threaded rod(axle). What should I do to get it off? It is also wearing the inside of the tire. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2009, 05:18 PM

I got the wheel bearing hub out and it feels fine and does not look like anything is wrong with it. what else could it be? vibrates and wears the inside edge of fwd driver side tire? please help

thanks

Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

suggestions;; when you are ready to replace the tires do so , also have the car aligned, an out of alignment condition can cause vibration, be sure tires are balanced, wheel bearings are tight, air pressure is per GM specs. have alignment mechanic check all front end parts for wear. have wheels checked for out of round, vibration can come from the rear also and seem it comes from the front, check balance and out of round on rear tires also wheel bearings for looseness. good luck....

Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 PM

I am sure it is in the front. I feel it in the steering wheel and can also tell its the left front. I have rotated tires to try an illiminate that. A turn of the wheel will also make vibration worse. I was sure it was going to be the wheel bearing but it looked and felt great. I dont know whats next.