Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

Quadrajet Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:24 PM

Hi,
I am attempting to do my first quadrajet rebuild and am already having problems getting the darn thing apart. It in my 1969 442 but the engine is out of a '67 Toronado. The carb is casting # 7041312 which apparently indicates that it is a factory replacement for the 425ci Toronado engine.

My problem is this...My 2 quadrajet rebuild books say that I just need to disengage all of the throttle linkage between the main body and air horn, remove the secondary rods and hanger, remove the 9 screws that hold the 2 together, then simply lift the air horn (carefully) from the main body. Simple enough and I did all of that but I still have a rod connecting these two parts of the carb that is not allowing their separation, and neither of my books even talk about it.

It's hard to describe and I can't seem to post a picture in this forum without getting an error, so I'll try to describe best I can. A picture IS available if anyone is interested enough for me to e-mail it to them. There is a lever that goes across one of my secondary flaps and on one end has a "pin" of some sort that goes through a small hole in the top of the air horn. I can get the lever off but the pin will not come out of the hole and the air horn will not separate from the main body with this pin in place.

Any ideas what this lever/pin even do and how I continue with my carb disassembly?

Thanks,
John

Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

I KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT QUADRAJET CARBURATORS BUT I HAVE A FRIEND WHO KNOWS ALL ABOUT REPAIR,,REBUILD,, AND MAKING A QUADRAJET PERFECT . IF YOU LIKE I CAN ASK HIM IF HE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN REPAIRING YOUR CARBURATOR FOR YOU. HE IS A MECHANIC SO HE WOULD NOT BE INTERESTED IN GIVING AWAY HIS KNOWLEDGE. PLEASE ADVISE YOUR PROBLEM AND I WILL ASK HIM IF HE IS INTERESTED IN REPAIRING YOUR CARBURETOR. I PROMISE HE HAS SUPERIOR KNOWLEDGE ON QUADRAJETS. RESPECTFULLY.... ILIKECARS

Old 05-07-2007, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the offer, Ilikecars. I do most all other car work on my own and carbs have always been a source of mystery to me, so I'm actually looking forward to trying to learn something about them. If all else fails, however, I may get back to you. Cliff Ruggles rebuilt a carb for me many years ago (and did a great job by the way) and now I'd like to tackle this one on my own using his book. If I can get around this one issue I'm hoping things smooth out. Thanks again!

Old 05-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

ROTSARUCK. THESE CARBURETORS ARE DIFFICULT TO MAKE PURR...