General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora ABS Light on

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:56 PM

[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora with 74,500 miles with a ABS light on all the time. When driving I notice the ABS sytem does not work after getting 2 wheel bearings replced on the front. The ABS light comes on and stays on when the car is started. It all started when I went to a auto shop and have the bearings replaced. I did them one at a time, 2 weeks apart. When thefront driverbearing was replaced the ABS light came on breifly then went off. Then it started to come on when I hit bumps in the road. So I took it back up there and they said it went off (I guess they reset it and sent me on my way) then a day before getting the front passenger bearing replaced I was on the highway and I heard clunking knocking noise coming from the front passenger side. I was going about 63 mph when this occured and the next day I got the passenger side replaced. Now all hell breaks loose with the car and the ABS light does not want to go off, I went up there today and almost got sent to jail due to my anger issues. I mean let's be real the guy tells me the reason is the sensor was on my axle...I said huh, what? So he says but we fixed it then when I leave it goes right back on. So I turn back around and try to remap things with them, but now they ordered a ABS sensor wiring harnessand said they will have to get it from the dealer and replace the wiring harness. Is there any justice in this? [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]My question finally is if the ABS sensor is on the axle...is that damaging my axle as I was driving? They put it on a diagnosis machine and it tells them the front driver is causing the light to come on. They also tried a new bearing and it wasnt the problem. These people have messed up my baby and I'm not done with them. They say if they can't fix it I will have to have the dealer fix it. [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

The ABS light NEVER NEVER came on before they replaced the bearings. I was riding on the highway with 2 bad front bearings and it never came on. I see I smell a lawsuit or small or large claims court.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:23 PM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
Not sure about Aurora but had similar problem with my Pontiac GPT. On the front suspention from wheel bearing sensor the wire connects to a connector that is about 18 to 24 inches long that conects to another plug check these cables. Use a ohm meter check all the wheel bearing sensor see if they all read about same ohm reading. Clean all the connectors with electrical cleaner put on new dielectric grease reconnect. I paid to have the system checked at GM dealer they wanted almost $600 to replace bearing I purchased new one atAdvance Auto store.(SKF made in USA not Chinese copy for $113 ) installed in a couple of hours including painting the dust shield and letting it dry. You could try the meter and check the leads for continuity

Old 09-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a wiring harness problem. The ABS system uses a sensor in the wheel bearing, so your new bearing have new sensors in them. The sensor cannot be replaced separately. It is possible that when your bearings were changed, the wires or connectors were damaged, or not plugged back in properly. In that case, the shop should pay to fix it. However, the wiring harnesses are known to go bad, also. a new one should solve your problems.

Low brake fluid can also cause an ABS light to come on.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:30 PM

Was that doing any damage to my axle if the wire was supposedly on the axle as I was driving. I am so furious at these people I don't know what to do but GO OFF!!! I contacted the Better Business Bureau to let them know what's going on. I do notice metal grinding at times when I turn(a left) I don't know it that's my cv or axle making that noise since the bearings, I guess are ok. How can I determine if the axle is damaged, will I have any signs while I'm driving or what sound I keep my ear out for when turning. Also is that damaging my regular brakes and my ABS system? If it is I see a small claims suit in the works.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

The wire should not damage your axle, brakes, or ABS systemas you drive. The wheel bearings and CV joint are two different parts. Usually a worn Cv joint will make a clunking sound as you turn, but not always. The CV joint is covered by a rubber boot that holds the grease in, you cannot look at it without removing that boot. I would not recommend it, because it is hard to get them to seal tightly again once they've been removed.

The axle itself can be seen by looking under the car. It will run from the outer CV boot (in the center of the wheel) about a foot and a half, to the inner Cv boot. It's just a metal rod, and any damage should be obvious.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:11 PM

Well, guys you were rightI didn't have to go postal on nobody about my baby. She is back to the woman that she was born to be, her ABS light is not on anymore and at start-up her light comes on so I know my ABS is back. Thank God. It turns out that it was the wire harness and the orderedd the part from the dealer and took 2 hours putting it on for free. Didn't matter to me, I bet they just happy that no suit was filed against them. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]