General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Brake lights, turn signals work, tail lights don't

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Default Brake lights, turn signals work, tail lights don't

So my girlfriend just bought a 94 Olds 88 LSS. In my infinite oversight, I neglected to check the tail lights when I told her to go ahead and get it. We went to move it at night, and we found out the tail lights do not work. The Brake lights and turn signals work just fight, but the tail lights do not.

I checked the fuses, looked fine. I neglected to check the bulbs so far, but what are the odds that both are burnt out? I'm going to change both fuses and check the bulbs more thoroughly tomorrow.

So I've scoured the Internet and it seems this problem is not entirely uncommon. Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks.

Glen

Addendum - I checked the fuses and the bulbs, all are ok. I noticed that both bulbs in the fixture come on when she hits the brakes. Neither of them stay on when I just turn the lights on. The turn signal bulb also functions as normal.

Last edited by burntoutfool; 07-30-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:08 AM
Pau

Originally Posted by burntoutfool
So my girlfriend just bought a 94 Olds 88 LSS. In my infinite oversight, I neglected to check the tail lights when I told her to go ahead and get it. We went to move it at night, and we found out the tail lights do not work. The Brake lights and turn signals work just fight, but the tail lights do not.

I checked the fuses, looked fine. I neglected to check the bulbs so far, but what are the odds that both are burnt out? I'm going to change both fuses and check the bulbs more thoroughly tomorrow.

So I've scoured the Internet and it seems this problem is not entirely uncommon. Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks.

Glen

Addendum - I checked the fuses and the bulbs, all are ok. I noticed that both bulbs in the fixture come on when she hits the brakes. Neither of them stay on when I just turn the lights on. The turn signal bulb also functions as normal.

Probably something is messing up somewhere on the tail light assembly. Maybe few wiring are getting lose but since you said that the turn signals are working (turn signals at the back) it may cause by some other problem I guess.

Last edited by Pau; 08-18-2011 at 07:36 PM.