Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

'03 Alero Trannie Won't Shift Out of 1st

Old 09-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Default '03 Alero Trannie Won't Shift Out of 1st

Let me start of by saying Hi to everyone as I'm new to this forum. Now to my problem hoping you all might be able to help on. My son's girlfriend '03 Alero won't shift out of first. She said it just started doing it on the way home from college. Stopped by to take a look at it and no matter what or how I try to get it to shift it won't go out of first. The car is an automatic with 154k on it not sure when the last time the fluid or filter was changed. Didn't have the tools or jack to get under the car and check anything. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated. I seen a TSB #3447 4T40E or 4T45E will not shift no diagnostic, but was able to find out the details of it. Thanks in advance

Scott

Old 09-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

I wasn't able to find a TSB with the number you posted. Do you have the date of it?
I did find this, among others:

#03-07-30-012B: Transaxle or Transmission Slips,
Wont Shift, No Reverse, 2nd, 3rd or Overdrive, Erratic
Shifts (Replace Driven Sprocket Support Assembly) -
(Aug 22, 2005)
This bulletin is being revised to update model years, clarify part inspection procedure
and warranty return request. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-07-30-
012A (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).
Condition
Some customers may comment that the transaxle/transmission slips, will not shift, will not backup/no reverse, no 2nd, 3rd or overdrive gears and erratic shifts.
Cause
A sleeve WITHIN the driven sprocket assembly (401) may have shifted due to insufficient
interference fit, blocking the oil feed hole for the second clutch.
Correction
1. Disassemble the transaxle completely and inspect the driven sprocket support assembly oil feed hole.
Callout "A" shows oil feed holes that are not blocked. Callout "B" shows what the oil feed
holes will look like if the sleeve has shifted.
Important:
2. If the oil feed hole is blocked, even partially, the Driven Sprocket Support Assembly
should be replaced. Refer to Driven Sprocket Support Assembly in Unit Repair in SI.
Part Number Description
24207143 Driven Sprocket Support Assembly

Old 09-25-2010, 02:51 PM

Date if found was 10/2005. Not sure if affects this vehicle or not. First time I'm dealing with an Alero. Looking for anything to check besides tearing into the trannie. I'm going to check the fluid and probably change it and the filter seeing as she doesn't know when the last time it was changed if ever. Don't know if changing the filter and fluid will fix the problem, it won't hurt just not sure if it will take care of it.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like it might be done for. Is there a check engine light on? I don't think changing the filter and fluid will help but you never know. The tranny is a weak spot for the Alero.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:48 AM

No check engine light on. Like you I think it might be done in, but figured I'd try a fluid and filter change as it won't cost that much if it doesn't work. Haven't checked into it yet, but does anyone know what type and how much trannie fluid it takes.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Dexron VI is the newest stuff for GM trannys. Your owners manual will say Dex 3 because that was the recommendation when the Alero was made. Dex VI is compatible with trannys that call for Dex 3.
I forget how much, check your owners manual. I think a pan drop requires about 6 quarts but I'm not certain.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Iflylow
#03-07-30-012B: Transaxle or Transmission Slips,
Wont Shift, No Reverse, 2nd, 3rd or Overdrive, Erratic
Shifts (Replace Driven Sprocket Support Assembly) -
Anyone know how difficult it would be to fix this at home? My trans is starting to slip in reverse a bit. When I put it in reverse and let my foot off the brake, it doesn't even move until I give it some gas. I have also had a few instances where I'm sitting at a stop light, and the light turns green. When I initially hit the gas, the engine starts to rev but the car doesn't go. Then it suddenly clunks, and goes (almost like doing a neutral drop). Once it's moving, it's fine. I'm assuming the TSB wouldn't apply to me, as I have over 140k miles on the car (although probably 110k on the trans, as it was replaced around 30k miles).

Old 11-06-2010, 03:58 AM

I had this problem with my 2000 Ranger...Not sure if Aleros have the same setup however the speed sensor on the pumpkin in the rear end of my truck...I replaced it and the new one that Advanced gave me was bad and that caused my tranny to not shift out of first...I put the old one back in and it ran fine...