Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

ABS Light, Traction Control, Service Vehicle Soon light comes on..and car drives fine

Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Default ABS Light, Traction Control, Service Vehicle Soon light comes on..and car drives fine

I'm recently having this issue with my 2004 alero. The problem mentioned on the title happened recently and it appeared 4 times this month. Car drives fine and it doesnt seem to have any issues at all, I had to pull over, turn off the car, and turned it back on and the lights on the dash will just go away. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Any tips or ideas on what might cause this? Thanks

Old 06-30-2009, 03:59 PM

the sensor in the wheel bearing is on its way most likely....and you can't just get the sensor. i know the sensor on mine is part of the wheel bearing. bring it some when it happeans again and have it scanned just make sure they have an abs scan tool

Old 06-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

99Alero is correct, the sensor is built into the wheel bearing, and cannot be changed without changing the bearing.
Check the connectors at each wheel for corrosion, contact, chafed or kinked/broken wires, etc. Also check the brake fluid, as low fluid will cause ABS/Trac lights.

An ABS capable scan tool will give you the most reliable diagnosis, of course.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:59 AM

I agree about the sensor. That is most likely the culprit.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM

Definitely a ABS sensor on one of the corners.

Ive got the same issue.
They have been known to go bad when the wheel bearing is on its way out.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:27 AM

I have the same problem on my 2001 Alero. I had both front hubs changed and the problem went away for about 2 weeks then came back.

The lights come on now 10 seconds after i turn the car on. I have new hubs, new rotors and brake pads.

I started hearing a grinding noise and I want to get this fixed before it kills my rotors.

I havent hooked the car to a computer to get a code.

I think it might be the wire connecting the hub to the car? Probably broken or faulty wire? I was thinking of takign the wheels off and spraying some WD 40 in the connectors.

Any ideas?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

The rear hubs have ABS sensors also, just like the fronts. You may have a bad rear hub.
The wires have also been a problem area, as have loose/corroded connectors at all four wheels. I wouldn't use wd40, I'd use some electrical contact cleaner instead.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Ouch, that means I might have to change the rear hubs too. That's going to cost a lot. I might try to disconnect the plus and drive without ABS for the next few months and get an inspection sticker.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:08 PM

I Have just replaced both of my bearings this year. both times all my lights were on (abs, traction and sevice vehicle) Its very possible that that bearing is on its way out, and triggers your lights, but the bearing will run quiet for a long time. Its just a matter of time before you get that grundging noise.

Also, if you have replaced your bearings and brakes and still get a metal scraping noise, (this happened to me twice) Check the metal dust plate that your ABS sensor clips on to, sometimes you may bend it out of place and it will scrape the back side of your rotor creating that noise.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:16 PM

So today again I went ot the mechanic who told me that the left front bearing was bad. Like i mentioned before both front bearing were replaced 3 months ago.

So here I go again and bought a bearing at autozone for about $80 and brought it to the mechanic. The mechanic changes it and I pick the car up but the 3 lights are still on. Mechanic then tells me that they are one because the bearing are not connected.

Well I told him to disconnect the bearing wires thing since even connected the lights were coming on. So what gives?? new bearings and still the lights are still on?

I'm desperate to find a solution at this point.

Last edited by alero2001; 03-31-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS Light, Traction Control, Service Vehicle Soon light comes on..and car drives fine