Intrigue Talk about the Oldsmobile Intrigue within...

Trunk Clunk

Old 07-20-2006, 03:37 PM

I have a '99 INtrigue, with 91K on it. Love the car; sporty, peppy, big enough for family, yet nice to tool around in as well. My ONE complaint is that there's a clunking coming from the trunk that I can't pin-point.

I had the struts replaced about a year ago; clunking was there before, and after, so not that. I replaced the rubber exhaust hangars, still there. I jacked the rear end up and zip-tied every loose hose and cable (anything that made ANY kind of noise when I jiggled it) to something solid. I inserted a rubber bushing where the fuel tank inlet crosses the frame. STILL no joy; I got rid of a lot of annoying little squeaks and rattles that way, but the low-toned clunking still there.

I even got in the trunk with my wife driving, and tried to pin-point it; seems like it's coming from the left-rear strut area, but it's hard to tell. The strut mounts are nice and tight.

I can't reproduce the sound when trying to manually jostle the car side to side, or up and down. It only occurs when driving slowly, and over the most minor of bumps. I'm sure it is happening continuously at all speeds, but the wind and road noise mask it at all but the slowest speeds (parking lots, residential areas, etc.)

One odd thing; I can cause the clunking to happen while 'shimmying' the car by driving slowly, and turning the steering wheel rapidly and repeatedly to the right and left. This gets the body shimmying, and the clunking will occur, even if the road is smooth (the clunking would not occur on this strech of road if I amd not causing ot to happen).

I am at my wit's end, and to take it to a suspension shop is not convenient, not to mention costly. Has ANYbody encountered similar issues with their Intrigue or similar body car?

Any help GRATEFULLY appreciated.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:33 PM

I have the same problem here on a '98. Any information would be much appreciated.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:43 PM

i also have that problem with my 98 cutlass and my brothers 96 cutlass

Old 04-10-2013, 04:51 AM

Any information would be much appreciated.