Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

'69 Cutlass tuning

Old 07-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Default '69 Cutlass tuning

Hello,

I'm new at this forum and I hope to find a lot of good help here.

I'm Sebastian from Germany and I have a '69 Cutlass Conv. with a 3-speed automatic which I would like to tune up a little bit.

Normally I thought this car has a 330 engine but after I checked it more datailed today I have found out that I have a 350. Anyway, I have some questions because confirm to what I readed in the net, the block sould be blue or Gold but my block is black and it doesn't look like repainted.
I have found several Information on the engine:
Motor code: 395558 2

There is another number on the other side: 161 3

The Cylinder Heads are marked with 5

All this shows me that I have a 350 Engine but I have heard that there aretwo different 350 engines. One is the Rocket 350 with 4.057 in (103.0 mm) bore and the small-block standard 3.385 in (86.0 mm). Is there any Chance to see the different from the outside?

The car has not enough power for me and I would like to tune this engine up to approx 450 hp.

I already have a Eldebrock Performer 350 manifold with a Edelbrock carburetor 1406 – 3502.

Now I’m thinking about a different cam shaft, new push rods and performance rocker levers. Also maybe some heads with bigger valves and a set of performance pistons.

Does anyone has some experience in tuning such a engine and what would you propose to do to get to this performance? Any performance kits you would suggest?

Also I want to change the drum brake on the rear axle to disk brakes. Does anyone knows a good set which fits and includes very thing needed.

Hope for good ideas and information.

Regards
Sebastian

Last edited by BB73; 07-12-2014 at 12:49 PM.