Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

battery drain

Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 AM

Hello everyone,

99 Alero, 130K, 6 cyl. automatic

I have a quick question for you alero enthusiasts. This is my wife''s car.We went out the other day to start it and it had the classic symptoms of a dead battery. It was trying to turn over but justdidn''t have enough juice. So I went out to take a look the following morning and as Iapproach the vehicle I hear a clicking noise coming from the front passenger side behind the bumber (the carwas not on). So I figure that this clicking noise is draining the batterywhile the car sitsmaking it impossible to start. I have searched around here a little and wanted to know ifanyone out there knows what this could be. The soundseemed to come from the AC condenser so I pulled that fuse (AC doesn''t work anyway) hoping to stop it from draining the battery.I jumped it and it ran fine andafter it satanother night ithad the same symptoms (trying to turn over but not enough juice). I know there is a lot of info on here about thesecars alternators etc. Would the alternator be able tomake a clicking noise while the car is off? would the ac condenser? What else is in that areaunder thehood that could be making the noise? Any suggestions before I bring it to a mechanic? thanks!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:08 PM

7 views and not one reply? that sucks... anyone? anyone? Bueller...

Old 09-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

7 views in 4.5 hours, during the middle of the work day...give us time, we have jobs...[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

My guess would be the starter solenoid is making the clicking sound, and yes, that would drain the battery eventually.It is located in the same general area as the A/C compressor.

How much did you drive it after jumping it the first time? It would need to go about 20 miles at highway speeds to fully recharge the battery.

Alternators will not make clicking sounds when the engine is not running. If you still suspect the alternator, Autozone will test it free for you.

A/C condensers will not click either.