Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Radio & chime out!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Default Radio & chime out!

Hello all, 02 alero 3.4

Today driving to work ,the sound from my speakers cut out! the digital display on the radio still works, i can still change stations and all, but no sound is coming out of any speakers. Once i had parked, i shut the car off , and started it back up and noticed that the chime sound that you hear once you start your car ( i think the bell chimes 3 or 4 times) is also gone. Even when the car is off and you manually lock the door from the inside, you hear that chime bell again. i dont hear it anymore.

It obviously all linked together with the speakers. Just wanted to know if anyone has had or heard of this issue and what the fix is?

Thanks

Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have the factory monsoon amp? It may have died. The deck could have taken a **** too. I have had problems with the deck in mine. Thats why I have two more decks in the garage.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:08 PM

Everything is factory in my alero, havent changed a thing. Where is the amp located Rusty?

deck as in the entire radio?

Old 06-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

The amp is in the trunk, mounted to the driver's side of the car. Pull down the carpet from the sidewall of the trunk, you'll see it.
The chimes are controlled through the factory radio, so if it or the amp dies, no more chimes.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:04 PM

Thanks iflow, I will check for that amp in the trunk. So does that amp control the sound for all the speakers in the car? Like i said my radio display works fine, i just have no sound from any speakers. I guess i could hit up a auto wreckers near me and just swap out the amps? By the way, how do i go about testing the amp i have now? or is it possible it could just be a fuse? if so where is the fuse for the amp

Thanks

Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Yes the amp controls the sound to all the speakers. I'm not sure if there is a fuse for the amp, other than the one thats inside the amp itself. If the amp did die or the fuse blew the radio would still work(display). I would say your best bet would be the junkyard. I would check all your fuses before you go spend money on something you don't need first though.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Sounds good rusty, i will check the fuses, what fuse would possible be the cause of no amp?

Also, to take the amp out, are all the wires on the amp, have a quick connect , or do i have to cut them off?

Old 06-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wutagoalie
Sounds good rusty, i will check the fuses, what fuse would possible be the cause of no amp?

Also, to take the amp out, are all the wires on the amp, have a quick connect , or do i have to cut them off?
I don't know if any of the fuses would cause the amp to quit. You may just have a fuse thats out thats messing with the radio.

The is one conector that goes to the amp. It just unclips. Then there are two 10mm nuts holding the amp in.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:48 PM

Thanks, if all the fuses look good, ow would i go about testing the amp? to make sure it actually is the amp?

Old 06-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know how you would go about testing out the amp. I would go to an audio forum and ask about that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio & chime out!