Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

ABS Light, Traction Control, Service Vehicle Soon light comes on..and car drives fine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:31 PM

You have to plug the bearings sensor wires in, if you keep them unplugged like you stated ,your lights will stay on.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:31 AM

But even plugged in the lights stayed on. I dont know what to do. Might the computer be broken?

I might take off the wheels myself to look at the wires. That's the second bearing I have changed in 3 months.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Look at the wires, the harness is known to be too short on some years of Alero, causing wire breakage. A BCM problem is possible, but less likely and you would probably have other symptoms besides just the lights. Get the car scanned with a TechII or equivalent scan tool before you throw any more $ at it. Also, go with a good quality bearing, not just the cheapest thing you can get.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Iflylow
Look at the wires, the harness is known to be too short on some years of Alero, causing wire breakage. A BCM problem is possible, but less likely and you would probably have other symptoms besides just the lights. Get the car scanned with a TechII or equivalent scan tool before you throw any more $ at it. Also, go with a good quality bearing, not just the cheapest thing you can get.
Iflow is correct, get your car properly scanned. If your lights are still on even when the new bearing are plugged in, i would say that its your wires that run from the vehicle to the bearing.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:46 PM

So I had both bearings changed again and lights went away but after 2 months from time to time only the 'Track' light comes on. Not the 'Trackoff' but only the 'Track'

What gives?

Old 06-01-2010, 06:37 PM

LOW TRAC
When your Enhanced Traction System is
limiting wheel spin, this light will come on.
Slippery road conditions may exist if the Enhanced
Traction System active light comes on, so adjust your
driving accordingly.
The light will stay on for a few seconds after the
Enhanced Traction System stops limiting wheel spin.
The Enhanced Traction System active light also comes
on briefly when you turn the ignition key to ON. If the
light doesn’t come on then, have it fixed so it will be
there to tell you when the system is active.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:27 AM

The trac light is random. Like it disappeared on Monday and hasnt come back on yet. It is strange that it rrandomly comes on. It hasn't rained or anything.

The car drives normally ven though the light is on.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:39 AM

I have had this same problem for a while on a 2001 Alero. SVS, ABS, Trac Off lights all one. Needed a new tire so the full service place to which I took it scanned the codes for me. Told me it was the right front. Got some deoxIT and sprayed the connections. Started the car and the lights were off. So I hit the other 3 conncections. Started the car and the lights were off. Went out 2 hours later and started the car, the lights were on. Turned it off, turned it back on, the lights were off.

I'm at a loss for what's going on. Seems to me that intermittent indicator lights usually point to a bad connection. If something is mechanically wrong I would guess that the lights would stay on. But I've cleaned all connections, including the one throwing the code. I also checked the wiring where it bends the most (to the right front wheel). Wiring looks fine. I wrapped some electrical tape around it and repositioned it so that the bend would be less acute.

It's a mystery at this point.

Last edited by Festivus; 10-19-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:09 PM
Default It’s none of that.

Originally Posted by tripz
I'm recently having this issue with my 2004 alero. The problem mentioned on the title happened recently and it appeared 4 times this month. Car drives fine and it doesnt seem to have any issues at all, I had to pull over, turn off the car, and turned it back on and the lights on the dash will just go away. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Any tips or ideas on what might cause this? Thanks
It is your (abs control module) 100 % . I was lucky and found one at a junk yard. A new one runs about $750..it’s located right under/next to the brake fluid resivor . Be very careful not to bend the little injectors that pump the brake fluid when needed. Or brake lines

Old 11-24-2017, 11:11 PM
Default Module

Originally Posted by Festivus
I have had this same problem for a while on a 2001 Alero. SVS, ABS, Trac Off lights all one. Needed a new tire so the full service place to which I took it scanned the codes for me. Told me it was the right front. Got some deoxIT and sprayed the connections. Started the car and the lights were off. So I hit the other 3 conncections. Started the car and the lights were off. Went out 2 hours later and started the car, the lights were on. Turned it off, turned it back on, the lights were off.

I'm at a loss for what's going on. Seems to me that intermittent indicator lights usually point to a bad connection. If something is mechanically wrong I would guess that the lights would stay on. But I've cleaned all connections, including the one throwing the code. I also checked the wiring where it bends the most (to the right front wheel). Wiring looks fine. I wrapped some electrical tape around it and repositioned it so that the bend would be less acute.

It's a mystery at this point.
it’s your abs control module. Located directly under/next to the brake fluid resivor