Toronado Talk about the Oldsmobile Toronado within...

Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 02:58 PM

I have a 1990 Olds Toronado with 156,000 miles. Some time ago the display for all cluster gauges dropped out along with the heating and A/C display and controls. The tachometer was the only guage that functioned. I checked for loose connectors, poor grounds and/or shorts and found no problems. I checked the alternator output and found it to be 13.9 volts. Yesterday, the displays began to function normally after I had been on the road for nearly an hour. I checked to see if the odometer had been recording the miles traveled while the display was not functioning, and it had. Several times the cluster gauges dropped out and returned - the heating and A/C controls con- tinued to function normally. The problem does not appear to be loose connections.

I will appreciate any help anyone can offer.

drtrhall@hotmail.com

Old 10-19-2005, 09:37 PM

hello i am have the same problem, its the cluster gone bad, its like 189 to fix it here is the web site, if you take off the trime around the dash board and pull out the intrument cluster you will be able to control the heat and a/c but youll have no idea how much gas you have or how fast yoyr going, its a common problem. good luck

www.mrwhizard.com.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:31 PM

all of the last generation toros will have the the gauge failure, mine has it,,eventually it will quit working all together and never light up even after a hour of driving(mine did the same) there is a small cheap capcitor on the board behind the gauges that shorts out and fails..there are serveral options... find one in the bone yards(which i know they are hard too find there) there are many online junkyards as well..but..since all of the clusters will fail the one you get might not work or stop working shortly after if it has never failed and fixed properly(they all fail) so its impossible to know which ones has failed and been fixed ...get it?...cost less than 100 dollars...there are a few places online that will send you one that they say will for sure work..cost less than 300 dollars..then you can have it repaired.. Tasaki is the company who made the gauges for olds( well atleast for my 91-92 im sure) ..and at one time there was a contract that ONLY allowed them to dianose and repair the gauges..there fore...if you took it to an automotiveelectronics repair shop, all they would do is send it to tasaki and charge you more if you would have just sent it to tasaki yourself..so having it repaired is big bucks 300-800 dollars....but they all fail..and the longer you use it when it has fail ....it will strees the other systems in the car and make them fail as well(like the BCM and VIC)...so fix it soon...i suggest buying a "parts car" becuse you ll need it...... ...P`Town Edited by: cmeonthenewz

Old 03-03-2006, 12:45 PM

Mine is Now working after messing around for a few years... The problem is a capaciter on the board inside the insterment cluster. Go to Mr. Whizards websight, and then pull the cluster and he'll pay the shipping... 189 US bucks and about two weeks later I put my old IPC back in the Car and Voila! every thing works. I highly recomend this!

Old 08-14-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by drtrhall

I have a 1990 Olds Toronado with 156,000 miles. Some time ago the display for all cluster gauges dropped out along with the heating and A/C display and controls. The tachometer was the only guage that functioned. I checked for loose connectors, poor grounds and/or shorts and found no problems. I checked the alternator output and found it to be 13.9 volts. Yesterday, the displays began to function normally after I had been on the road for nearly an hour. I checked to see if the odometer had been recording the miles traveled while the display was not functioning, and it had. Several times the cluster gauges dropped out and returned - the heating and A/C controls con- tinued to function normally. The problem does not appear to be loose connections.

I will appreciate any help anyone can offer.

drtrhall@hotmail.com
I have a similar problem with a little difference, my battery stays at 12.-- volts when it should be 13-15, alternator tests good on the bench but doesn't
seem to work in the car. This is Non VIC my ac display reads - - - and
i have no control, the clutch won't engage, and the radio works. When I turn the lights on and
off, the guages come on but then the backlights (- - -) go out
includingthe radio, but it can still be used, just no display. The gauges seem to move a little back and forth, when the turn signal is on the battery gauge flickers with the signal, The gas gauge flickers as well all while not moving, Any help would be great

Boyd.