Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

02 Alero DOORS WONT LOCK

Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Can someone please help me figure out why my doors will not lock when I try to lock it with switch on the drivers/passenger door. Here is the thing it will unlockwhenI pressit and when I turn my car off the doorswill unlock, what could it possibly be? [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Bad switch?

Will they lock with the remote, or when you use the manual lock?
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 01-21-2010, 07:18 AM

I need to ask a question on the power door locking. Figured I would just resurrect this thread.

I just bought my 02 alero and the key fob and switches work. Everything unlocks on both the fob and switches, but nothing locks. When I push the buttons, I can hear something happening, but none of the doors lock. It almost sounds like no matter what button I push, its always trying to unlock the doors or something. I was hoping someone had some advice before I tear one of the doors apart.

Thanks,

Old 01-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Just to clarify a little: When you try to lock the doors, with the fob or buttons, something happens but the doors don't lock?
Will they lock with the keys? If so, how hard is it to turn the key when locking them? I'm thinking the lock mechanism may be binding.
Do you have the 4 door or 2 door?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 AM

Correct, I can hear something happening, but they don't lock. If I use the keys or the internal mechanical button, they work just fine. The resistance is what I would expect, nothing out of the ordinary. Since this is the case with all of the doors, I am pretty sure it is something electrical, but I don't really know where to look.

This is the four door model.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

The power locks fuse is in the left instrument panel fuse block. It appears that the 3 power lock relays are right behind the fuse. I would swap relays around, maybe you have a relay with high internal resistance, allowing some current through, but not enough to lock the doors.
I agree with you, it has to be something common to all four doors, which rules out the mechanical parts of the system. I wonder (and my wiring diagrams don't show) if there is a common ground for the lock side of the system that is loose or corroded.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Default similar issue

just got a 00 4cyl alero from auction. door locks pwr mirrors and windows don't work. took dash out after guage lights wouldn't turn off to find main harness melted. rewired and taped all replaced relays and fuses. melting went from cigarette lighter to fuse box. took 3 days in cold and snow. melting didn't go to doors or anything else. some say bcm but i opened and looks good. no popped capacitors or bad solder. some say left fuse blocks have caused problem in other cars. relays click when dr lock unlock is pressed. all windows work from drvs side. no where else.