Silhouette Talk about the Oldsmobile Silhouette within...

2000 Silhouette Wiring Short - rear tail lights

Old 12-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Default 2000 Silhouette Wiring Short - rear tail lights

Hey all,

I just registered here to see if I could get some helpful information about a short in the rear tail lights before taking it somewhere to have it looked at.

I have replaced all the bulbs, they are brand new and working properly. The problem starts when I turn on the Headlights or "night time" lights.

There is no short at all until the lights turn on automatically due to it being dark, or I turn on the head lights manually. Meaning, all turn signals, brake lights etc. function correctly until the the night time driving lights turn on.

When the night time lights are on, and the brake is applied, one of the reverse lights lights slightly light up... you can definitly tell some kind of short is happening. Also when I use the turn signals, the proper side works, but the other side blinks slightly too..

It seems like a longshot to get an answer here, but I thought it would be worth a try, if anyone is interested in replying and helping it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Old 12-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds strange. It seems like the reverse light is getting power from the brakes. You may have some wires crossed somewhere. The turn signals may be from the hazard switch. Wish I could be more help.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:32 PM

I know it went from perfectly fine to this... no wire tampering was done ever, so I relly just dont know

Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

I would take it to a shop that you can trust. I hate electric anything on cars, so I will be no help.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:59 PM

(When the night time lights are on, and the brake is applied, one of the reverse lights lights slightly light up... you can definitly tell some kind of short is happening. Also when I use the turn signals, the proper side works, but the other side blinks slightly too..)

Usually, when that happened to my van. If the signal light blink slightly or too fast, It mean that you got a burn light bulk. Try checking all four lights to see if you got one that looks burn. I hope this will help.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:56 PM

To me this sounds like a bad taillight circuit board. It is the exact problem I had. Simply replaced the tallight circuit board assemby on the side that was bad (you can tell by looking at the tail lights, one side the turn signal should work proper, the other it will dim the lights & hitting the brake may make the backup lights operate.) From what I understand, this is a semi common problem with taillight circuit boards in the Silhouette. This is not a problem the average person can fix without replacement parts. I found one at a sorta local dealership for under $60.00 PLUS TAX.

Referee

Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Question Same Problem with lights in back not working

I have a 99 silhouette and have same type of problem. there is a plug under the rear bumper. for awhile we could jiggle it and lights would work. now they don't anymore. only time the lights, brakes, turn signals, tail lights work is during day. as soon as we turn headlights on or they go auto on at night lights don't work in back. so i assumed it is this plug, called head lamp auto relay switch. now problem i am having is finding right one. all those we have found r 5 terminals, ours has 4 terminals. so maybe see if u have the same type of plug like ours has. has any1 replaced this plug b4? and did it help? or do we need to check the curcuit board and if so where is it located plz? oh i will also mention the brake light top middle of the back still works even when head lights are on.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 PM

First make sure you have proper grounds, super important. Not sure on the circuit boards for the tailamps on this vehicle as Im not a GM tech. Next it to look for places open to the elements ie. trailer hitch wireing. Oh one minor detail make sure the correct bulbs are installed. Has anything electrical been added. Have you carried anything heavy? Also look at the connectors by the fuse box for corrosion.