Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

All the problems I have had with my 2001 Alero

Old 10-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Default All the problems I have had with my 2001 Alero

I have had so many problems with my 2001 Alero and just wanted to share because others may later have the same problems or may have already had them and have some advice. If I forget anything I will come back and add more. If anyone has any corrections or better suggestions to solutions please respond!

Problem:
Driver side window won't always let up. The switch is messed up.
Solution:
not fixed

Problem:
Blinkers work on and off and no rhyme or reason to when they will or will not work
Solution:
Take to dealership because of recall

Problem:
Car started spitting and sputtering while driving on the Hwy and it bogged down. Security, trac off, change oil, water, check engine lights all started going crazy and then nothing. Car would not go any faster than 15-20 mph.
Solution:
Took to dealership and had to have a couple of sensors replays(sorry I do not know exactly which ones)

Problem:
Back windows will not work(luckily they decided to stop working in the "up" position)
Solution:
not fixed

Problem:
Car would not crank with no prior problems.
Solution:
We figured this one out at home as we had this problem a few times. From the way the car sounded when trying to crank it my husband figured it was something to do with fuel. From there we narrowed it down. The car only did this when my fuel gauge got down to 1/4 tank of gas. I had my husband to put some gas in it and it cranked right up. Apparently a bad sensor. We haven't had that problem anymore but now I keep my car full of gas.

Problem:
Car would not crank with not prior problems. I took my kids to McDonald's and when we got back in the car it would not crank. It would not even turn over. Nothing. We were stranded there in the heat until my husband got off work.
Solution:
That incident was the first time that happened but it has happened several times since. The 1st time my husband tinkered around with the car and by sheer luck got it to crank but he didn't know how. We got home and did some googling to find out it was something to do with security. There's a certain thing to do to reset the security system. I think you turn the key to the "on" position (someone correct me if I am wrong) and wait 10 minutes then turn the key to the "off" position and then try to crank. Should crank right up. If you put a cd in the cd player while running the reset process, the cd will eject when the reset is complete. We figured this out with trial and error.

If I think of more I will come back and post it. Again, if anyone has anything to correct or add please feel free! So glad I found this site, btw!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a bunch of issues! I'm glad you found solutions to some of them, though, hope we can help with the others.
Your last problem (stuck at McDs) could be due to bad grounds or corroded battery cables. I would check those out, especially if the lights would not come on or were dim while attempting to crank. The security system does not prevent cranking, just starting. It does this by not allowing fuel to the injectors.
Your procedure on the security relearn is correct, but some people have to do this 2-3 times before it works.