Go Back   Oldsmobile Forum - Oldsmobile Enthusiasts Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 AM

Default 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora Over heating

We just purchased a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora from the auction for our grandmother; we test drove it seemed to be fine, we got on the highway and it started overheating said to pull over immediately we did; had it towed home; have replaced the water pump and the thermostate still over heating; we have checked the oil there does not appear to be any water in the oil.
Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 PM

One thing to check is that the hose / fittings on the reservoir are not blocked. This is the only way to fill the radiator and block. So it may appear to have proper water level when in fact there is not enough in the system. Should take at least 1 to 1.5 gals.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:16 PM

this is a northstar caddy engine there a couple things here that need to be done first verify the weep hole in thermostat is pointed to 12 oclock also get the car on ramps so the front end is up the trick is to take the car up to 4500 rpm and back two idle three times with the heat on full boar and the temp raised all the way up this motor needs to be perged and have al the air removed from the system or it will not circulate coolant if this doesn't work get it to a dealer to have the system perged or it can cause major and i do mean major issues and its a bout 2000 dollar to replace used if ya can find one good luck with it but remeber ya wanna watch the motor burp if ya doing it at home
Old 07-16-2011, 11:40 PM

also check the thermostat housing most 4.0 auroras do have a bleeder screw that ya can crack lose while its on ramps to bleed the air out of the system and is easily done with system closed up its pretty much like bleeding brakes
Old 11-10-2011, 06:59 PM

Default No bleeder valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds'in View Post
also check the thermostat housing most 4.0 auroras do have a bleeder screw that ya can crack lose while its on ramps to bleed the air out of the system and is easily done with system closed up its pretty much like bleeding brakes
There is No bleeder valve on the 2001-2003 Aurora 4.0's (not Northstar caddy engines either)
Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 AM

Well, I feared the worse when my 2001 aurora I bought at an auction kept overheating. There was a hole at the top of the radiator that someone drilled a hole into and screwed a fine-thread bolt into. I flushed the coolant system and replaced the thermostat and radiator, idled it and it was fine.... Until I drove it and got up to 60 and it started to spike in temp. Tried the "Cadillac Pills" and nothing. Seems that it's a leaking head gasket that puts combustion gases into the coolant system creating steam and air pockets and over heats it. So my last ditch effort will be to flush the system and add the Blue Devil gasket sealant to try and repair it otherwise it's going to be tearing the head(s) off and replacing the head gasket and head bolts and checking the head surface. Anyone else been in this situation!? Much help appreciated!
Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 AM

Tags
01, 2001, 40, air, araura, aurora, bleeding, clogged, heating, olds, oldsmobile, overheating, problem, problems, thermostat