Oldsmobile  Forum - Oldsmobile Enthusiasts Forums

Oldsmobile Forum - Oldsmobile Enthusiasts Forums (https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum/)
-   Alero (https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum/alero-21/)
-   -   2002 alero front wheel bearing (https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum/alero-21/2002-alero-frnt-wheel-bearing-2269/)

smdepew1976 09-29-2008 06:53 PM

my alero''s wheel bearings are grinding and making a bad sound....I did read the thread about the wheel bearings but it wasn''t conclusive....so are AZ bearings ok? do I have to get the ones from the stealership? the want 300 bucks a side......

rustyballs_69 09-29-2008 08:32 PM

You can get them at checker or autozone for around $100-150 a piece.

smdepew1976 10-02-2008 08:32 PM

so i jacked the car up today to cheack the bearings and the have no play in them what so ever.......it sure does sound like a bearing to me but i do need new tires so i guess i''ll get them 1st and see

rustyballs_69 10-03-2008 09:30 PM

Did you check the rear too or just the front? Have you checked the brakes, rotors, pads, and the caliper for sticking? If the caliper is sticking you''ll notice a lot of wear on the rotor and one pad.Edited by: rustyballs_69

smdepew1976 10-05-2008 07:37 PM

i did check the rears ..... it''s funny you say the brakes casue while checking i did notice one pad is half worn while the others look new....the sliders weren''t sticking I did check .....the noise comes and goes when you turn one way and gets louder when you turn the other.....like a WB noise......I dunno but i know it''s getting worse....oh and I got new tires now....how can i test the caliper?

rustyballs_69 10-05-2008 08:17 PM

It sounds a lot like a wheel bearing because you said it gets louder when you turn and that usually a sign of the wheel bearing failing.

I have no clue how you would test the caliper. I know they sell kits that have two gauges to test the pressure but they are pretty spendy.

smdepew1976 10-07-2008 06:10 AM

i did some further checking and the WB has NATIONAL inscribed on it...is that an ok brand?...I normally always use timken....it sounds and behaves exactly like a WB just doesn''t have any play in it.....I wonder if it just doesn''t have any play yet?...could I just be hearing the dry bearing right before it goes "bad"?....I have only owned this car a few months and that WB looks as tho it''s been changed recently but after reading that long thread about the ebay WB''s i realize that means nothing.....it''s just I got a little bit to spend on it and don''t want to buy the wrong parts.....

rustyballs_69 10-07-2008 04:54 PM

I would think the National bearing would be fine. I have heard a few people say that their aftermarket Timken bearings have failed in a few months so they may not be the best bet anyway.

smdepew1976 10-12-2008 01:45 PM

ok i did some more looking and the right rear WB was making a clacking sound so i replaced that and the rear rotors and pads......still has a slight noise but i believe it to be in the front....but.....

smdepew1976 10-22-2008 07:55 PM

ok so after much hair pulling out i got it fixed up the drivers side front WB was bad...it didn''t have any play in it but the noise is gone....only problem now is that i broke the ABS wires.....any way to repair them?