Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Car goes dead randomly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:31 AM

Hi all. Since Googling "electrical problems in 2001 Alero" leads mostly to complaints about the Passlock system (which is an annoying fix, but still a fix) I thought I''d post and see what people thought about this? I''m kind of at a loss, but I''m not much of a car person anyway, so any suggestions are much appreciated!

I drive a 2001 Alero. I bought it used, not from a dealership but from someone my father knows. It has UNDER 70k miles (it had under 50k when I bought it in 2004), as I only really drive back and forth from school and work. The car''s a tank...I have to say that. I''ve been hit about twice with little to no damage.

The problem is that my car has a habit of randomly going dead. As in, no engine turning over, no lights, no remote entry working, etc. After a while, it''ll start up again...but my gauges all fluctuate and my radio stations and clock all reset. I''m assuming that this means the problem is electrical? I checked the fuse-box but there doesn''t appear to be any water damage (which was the only possible explanation I could find. And, my car doesn''t leak on that side. Leaks on the other side, anyway.)

Like I said, I''m not a car person (obviously!) I''d really like to get this fixed, as I''m super busy with two jobs, school, and a research position and I''d like to avoid being stranded somewhere at three in the morning. Does anyone have any idea what I could do? (besides the obvious answer of "get a new car.")

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Look at the battery connections. When they corrode, it will act just like what you described.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:51 AM

yes i agree, or same deal with the battery connection, but further back possibly @ the alternator