Oldsmobile  Forum - Oldsmobile Enthusiasts Forums

Oldsmobile Forum - Oldsmobile Enthusiasts Forums (https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum/)
-   Aurora (https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum/aurora-26/)
-   -   2001 Aurora 3.5 (https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum/aurora-26/2001-aurora-3-5-a-863/)

performa 12-29-2006 05:55 PM

hi everyone. im going to take a look at one of these auroras in about 2 weeks. a 2001 3.5.these cars are hot. and go for reasonable prices. now my question is , is it worth it? is it gonna be in the shop every 2 months like mypresent audi(over 5k spent over the last year..and counting...its in the shop again as i write this).what should i look/listen for when test driving it?

everyone is telling me to go back to American cars since parts are easy to find/cheaper...and more reliable

please give me some feedback.

Thanks

-Edward

ilikecars 12-29-2006 11:31 PM

I HAVE TO AGREE THAT AUDI AND MERCEDES AND VOLVO COST MORE TO REPAIR THAN MOST AMERICAN CARS. I RECENTLY STARTED TO BUY A BMW ON EBAY AND THE SELLER SAID THAT THE A/C DIDNT WORK. I SHOPPED THE A/C COMPRESSOR AND EVAPORATOR AND THE ONLY PLACE I COULT FIND IT WAS BMW. $ 1500.00 LOOKED LIKE WHAT IT WOULD COST TO REPLACE. I REPLACED THE A/C ON MY JIMMY AND MY F150 FOR $350 PARTS AND LABOR INCLUDED. I CURRENTLY HAVE A 1995 AURORA AND IT IS VERY PLEASURABLE TO DRIVE, OTHER THAN A NEW RADIATOR AND BRAKES IT HAS GIVEN NO PROBLEMS. THE RADIATOR I BLAME ON AGE AS THEY ARE PLASTIC. IT HAS GREAT POWER AND ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES. THE MOST COMFORTABLE AUTO I HAVE HAD IN THE PAST YEAR WAS A CADILLAC. THE MOST FUN WAS A CORVETTE. YEAH... BUY AMERICAN AND FIX IT YOURSELF.....AND BUY PARTS AT NAPA AND CARQUEST..

performa 12-31-2006 05:00 PM

hi, thanks so much for the reply...you know exactly my concern..i mean 250$ for a little brake hose is just ridiculous..not to mention only few mechanics will even look at these cars...whereas an american car can brought almost anywhere.

so the aurora is a good idea i take it? lol

lastly..what should i check when viewing/test driving the car. dont wanna bring home a lemon or covered up problems

thanks for the input

ilikecars 12-31-2006 08:36 PM

SOME OF THE THINGS I LOOK FOR IF I DONT USE A VEHICLE INSPECTOR ARE, SCRATCHES , COVERED UP DENTS, FRESH PAINT , ENGINE OIL CONDITION ( BLACK OR GUMMY ) TRANSMISSION FLUID THAT IS DISCOLORED OR SMELLS BURNT, WORN TIRES , CARPET THAT IS EXCESSIVELY STAINED , OIL LEAKS ( BEND OVER AND GET UNDER IT, ITS YOUR MONEY, THE DIRT ON YOUR PANTS KNEE WILL WASH OUT ) WATER FLUID LOW OR RESERVOIR TANK THAT HAS OIL RESIDUE INSIDE, CHECK ALL ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS TO BE SURE THEY WORK. IF YOU WILL BE SPENDING BIG BUCKS GET A CARFAX OR BETTER YET DEAL WITH A DEALER THAT GIVES ONE FREE. MY BIGGEST TOOL THAT I USE IS IF I WALK UP TO A CAR AND I GET A SUSPICIOUS FEELING, DONT WALK---RUN TO THE NEXT CAR. THEY MAKE THEM EVERY DAY AND YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY THIS ONE. LAST- IF THE DEALER LOOKS SHADY OR THE LOT IS COVERED WITH JUNK, RUN RUN RUN . REPUTABLE DEALERS DONT KEEP JUNK ON THE LOT...GOOD LUCK..

performa 01-05-2007 05:41 AM

Hi thanks for the advice again...ill kep you posted on how it goes. im gonna take a look at a high meilage one this weekend since its going for pretty cheap. (these cars still go for up to 25k for a '02) in my area.

thanks again

jojo 01-06-2007 05:54 PM

If these cars go for 25k in your area, look for one outside of your area. Aurara's with less than 50k miles from 2001 til extintion are found alot cheaper! I purchased an 2001 two years ago with 42,000 mi for 14.2.. Check em out on line. You might have to travel a little..

Jelardo 02-05-2007 04:11 PM

I have a 2001 I love (d), however, it loves theGM garage better than it's own. Had it for one year- in the shop a total of 9 times so far. Car doesn't want to start. Battery is fine- turn the key and only see a check engine light. Dealership has replaced the starter, the ignition, the relay box, found a short, etc., and last Friday it wouldn't start again. One good thing, mileage stays low due to time spent in garage. Thank heavenfor extended GM warranty- even though it apparently doesn't cover some of the repairs....... Check the engine gasket-they are well known for leaking on this car. Oil leaks other places are also common. Check posts to see where the most common are- I checked before I bought this car, and the dealership replaced the gasket and repaired other leaks after I took the car to my mechanic to check it out prior to buying.Welll worth the trip to my mechanic- he even showed my where the 3 leaks were.Edited by: Jelardo

jojo 02-05-2007 05:25 PM

Love my Aurora, but they are far from perfect. Through my research I've found that there are more problems with the 3.5 (6), than with the 4.0 (V8), that's been in the aurora since it arived..

ilikecars 02-05-2007 10:03 PM

CONCERNING THE NUMBER OF TIMES YOU HAVE TAKEN THE AURORA BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP MY SUGGESTION WOULD BE TO TALK TO PEOPLE AT THE DEALERSHIP AND NEIGHBORHOOD ABOUT WHICH TECHNICIAN THEY WOULD PREFER TO WORK ON THEIR CAR. I HAVE FOUND THAT DEALERSHIPS HAVE A LOT OF TURNOVER OF MECHANICS, MOST OF WHICH DONT GIVE A RIP ABOUT YOUR CAR THEY JUST WANT TO GET TO FRIDAY AND A PAYCHECK. FIND WHICH MECHANIC HAS BEEN THERE THE LONGEST AND HAS A LOYAL FOLLOWING AND INSIST THAT HE BE THE ONE TO CHECK YOUR OLDS. I HAVE ONLY HAD 1 AURORA BUT I FIND IT IS A VERY LUXURIOUS AUTO. BOTTOM LINE IS PICK YOUR MECHANIC AND INSIST HE REPAIR IT. ( ITS YOUR MONEY )

03blk 03-03-2007 10:37 PM

i had my 03 4.0 aurora for a day now and it didnt visit the shop yet i wasnt sure i was going to like it but i love it btw it was between aurora or 01 mustang gt