Oldsmobile  Forum - Oldsmobile Enthusiasts Forums

Oldsmobile Forum - Oldsmobile Enthusiasts Forums (https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum/)
-   Cutlass (https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum/cutlass-25/)
-   -   1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible HEI distributor? (https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum/cutlass-25/1972-cutlass-supreme-convertible-hei-distributor-2878/)

hitboxer 06-30-2009 04:05 PM

1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible HEI distributor?

Can anyone help me. I am trying to replace my original points distributor to an HEI. I ordered a Pertronix HEI distributor and it was too big for the engine compartment. So I just went with the Pertronix kit to change to electronic, but it is not HEI. Are there any HEI distributors that will fit this car w/o messing up the firewall and w/o it being so tall that it hits up against the bottom of the air cleaner?

joecuccovia 07-06-2009 01:11 AM

im in the same boat ive got a 71 points distributor that i want to upgrade, not sure if a hei will touch the firewall but it may interfere with aircleaner you could scallop the aircleaner (cut a piece out then weld a curved piece back) this may give the added clearance and give a stock look. have you checked out a later oldsmobile gm hei ?these could be readily upgraded not sure about the dimensions though

Rus 08-02-2009 02:42 PM

I have a 72 Cutlass S with the Rocket 350. Back in 96 I changed it over to HEI by replacing the OEM points distributor with an OEM HEI distributor from a 76 350. Just went to a local parts store and bought a new distributor, cap, wires, etc... OEM for a 76 Cutlass 350.

I found out that this would work by spending a lot of time on the phone with classic car shops, racing shops, and parts stores.

And once I did it...wow, the extra power! I haven't had it checked out, but it did increase power at every level. And I don't have to carry two extra sets of points in the glovebox anymore. ;)

*Edit* I did have to lose the OEM air cleaner, though. I bought an after-market small round cleaner that I don't like nearly as much, but I would rather have the reliability of the HEI than the original air cleaner.

And this HEI distributor does not touch the firewall.

Good luck!

zsoccerdude17 08-16-2009 07:14 PM

I used the MSD 6AL box along with there coil, and there distributor. I wont have anything installed untill i finish getting all the parts for my 30 build up/ rebuild. Personally i have never had a problem with any of MSD's products and i love the ability to fine tune your timing covers with there dizzys.

mb510420 09-09-2009 12:06 AM

I got a 73 cutlass supreme with a 350, I bought an HEI distributor on E bay from a store called dependonauto. I had no problems with the firewall or the air cleaner. I've had it for about 2 years now with no problems whatsoever. These are 100% new polished aluminum distributers not rebuilds. And it only costs about 60 bucks you should check it out, I would recommend it to anyone who doesnt need or want to spend the extra money on an msd set up.