Oldsmobile  Forum - Oldsmobile Enthusiasts Forums

Oldsmobile Forum - Oldsmobile Enthusiasts Forums (https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum/)
-   Cutlass (https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum/cutlass-25/)
-   -   New Heads (https://oldsmobileforum.com/forum/cutlass-25/new-heads-3195/)

Awesome70Cutlass 10-13-2009 08:18 PM

New Heads

My questions pertain to the heads of a 1970 Cutlass. The engine is a 455 and understandably it would use a certain size of heads compared to other sized engines. How does this work? What heads would fit. Is there something specific I should look for when purchasing new ones? What brands are reliable?

Thanks,

Awesome70Cutlass

svnt442 10-16-2009 02:48 PM

Well I don't think "size" is what you're looking for. Any "modern" (1964-1990) Olds V8 head will bolt to a 455, but that doesn't mean they will work with it.
If you actually have a 1970 engine and it is still original you should have E heads unless you got your hands on a W30 engine, then it would have F heads on it.
As far as what you would want for heads it all depends on what you are looking to do with the engine. The stock 1970 heads are good right out of the box. With some mild work they will do what you want for most builds. You can step up to Edelbrock heads if you'd like, but it's not all that necessary.
Any big block Olds (BBO) will work, but you have to be careful of the olds one because the lifter bank angle can cause issues with the pushrods holes, but this can be worked with.
Small block Olds (SBO) heads will bolt up, but this will not work because no intake manifold will work with the smaller runners. Also the small combustion chambers would raise the compression too much in most cases.

70dragracer 11-07-2009 08:55 PM

C, E, F, J, G, nothing with a number. Big blocks use letters and small blocks use numbers.

anwar20 11-21-2009 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442 (Post 7877)
Well I don't think "size" is what you're looking for. Any "modern" (1964-1990) Olds V8 head will bolt to a 455, but that doesn't mean they will work with it.
If you actually have a 1970 engine and it is still original you should have E heads unless you got your hands on a W30 engine, then it would have F heads on it.
As far as what you would want for heads it all depends on what you are looking to do with the engine. The stock 1970 heads are good right out of the box. With some mild work they will do what you want for most builds. You can step up to Edelbrock heads if you'd like, but it's not all that necessary.
Any big block Olds (BBO) will work, but you have to be careful of the olds one because the lifter bank angle can cause issues with the pushrods holes, but this can be worked with.
Small block Olds (SBO) heads will bolt up, but this will not work because no intake manifold will work with the smaller runners. Also the small combustion chambers would raise the compression too much in most cases.

ahhahahahaha

svnt442 11-21-2009 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by anwar20 (Post 8131)
ahhahahahaha

And what's so funny?

70dragracer 11-22-2009 03:04 PM

I don't know what he thinks is funny the info is 100% correct. Maybe that's the only two letters that work on his keyboard.

D.injum 12-03-2009 03:18 AM

New Heads

Do you have some comparison numbers as to how much more air these heads flow 28" of water at .10" increments than the stock units?

agtw31 12-03-2009 06:56 PM

they dont flow any better.

dubyloolAls 12-11-2009 08:53 AM

New Heads

Here it is THANK YOU Ein You autta be paid for this stuff Its great work V

Neetala09 12-18-2009 08:31 PM

New Heads

New Head 2 Heads?

I was just wondering in our small community if anyone is interested in a fast paced head to head. Maybe two games back to back: in one I take faction A and you B; and in the other I take faction B and you take faction A.

If so we could then discuss settings to minimise chance but maximise gameplay.