General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

new and need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Default new and need help

hey everyone im new here from Toronto ON Canada
sooo now for my issues..

ive had an 86 olds cutlass supreme brougham with 3.8L V6 and 90000km (56000miles) that i have had for a couple years now. i had given it to my sis to cart around her new baby.

so i just got it back and am starting the work that now needs to be done ( ill never loan a car to my sis again.) there were some minor problem that have been fixed, and now the problems seem worse.

in the past 6 mnths all vacume hoses, fuel and brake lines, exaust (cat back) fuel pump and some other things that i cant remember have all been replaced.

the orginal problem was when i first put it in gear it stalls and wants to stall for the next 2 or 3 km

first thing i did was tune up, including timing, didnt make much of a difference. now i looked and the guy who replaced the exaust screwed up and didnt put the supports back on, so the exaust split at the cat. so i repaired that ( just had to lift it and re bolt the brackets). as soon as i did that the car started running REALLY rough and shakey. it was fine after the tune up( minus the stalling when in gear)

the timing is still on the mark, ive looked for the air/fuel adjustment screws to no avail. ( there is brass rivits where the screws should be)

the only part i find odd is that the car ran "smooth" until i fixed the exaust.

the carb is a stock dualjet stock.

the only thing that comes to my mind is if the a/f mixture is controlled electronicly, i did unhook the battery during the exaust repair ( needed to do a small weld) but maybe i reset something.

if someone could give me some advice please do.

thanks alot.
Pete

Last edited by peterm15; 08-05-2009 at 07:28 PM.