General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 07:27 PM

Hi all, i posted under eighty eight but im desperate for help.iI purchased a 1987 eighty eight and the car is mint body wise and interior with low mileage..1 owner and took very good care of the car.They had the car in a garage and had it safetied and had a stall problem fixed..the thing is its still stalling and sometimes hard to start...had the following replaced new..fuel filter, fuel pump, new plugs, crank sensor(twice) idle sensor..the damn thing is still stalling at a stop in drive..it runs fine on the highway except for a slight thump every once in awhile in the tranny, like its dropping a gear hard..it has od and that is when it seems to happen at about 100 km but not always..shifting gears going up it is smooth..could it be a torqu converter or maybe the idle sensor needs adjusting? Please, any help here would be so very welcome..Thanks ahead for any replies and sorry for posting twice on this but im hurting.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:03 PM

I've got a 1998 - 88 3.8L. I can't identify the problem either. It doesn't seem to be "right" at speeds varying from 55 mph & up. I've had the intake manifold, fuel sensor, plugs, and injectors changed. I had the transmission fluid flushed and replaced. The car is clean and is near 100,000 miles. I had an 89 Pontiac with this engine and no trouble. I hope we can get some good information.

Old 07-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Administrator

it sounds to me to be an internal issue with the trans. have you checked with a tranny shop?

Old 02-27-2006, 12:00 PM

Sounds like the torque converter lock-up switch. If the car stalls for example when you pull up to a stop light and sort of shutters and then quits. Locate the switch, should be able to see it when you open the hood and look down on right hand side on the bellhousing. If you can locate the switch, unplug it and then drive the car. You won't have overdrive, but you will be able to see if this corrects your problem. Some switches can be replaced without tearing the tranny apart, others cannot. I am not sure on yours. Something to look at anyway. Cheers

Old 03-07-2006, 03:38 PM

I have finally resolved my problem. Beneath the intake manifold there is a gasket, an aluminum spacer, and another gasket. The gasket below the spacer was faulty and worsened over time allowing antifreeze to leak in which fouled one of my injectors and a compression leak which caused my transmission to malfunction. This may not be the cause of your problem but I am delighted to have fixed mine. hugh trusty

Old 03-07-2006, 03:39 PM

Whoops. The reply listed as Hugh Trusty is in addition to the reply listed as Luvert. (Same Guy without cape.)