General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Olds Alero Cruise Light and Air Bag issues.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Default Olds Alero Cruise Light and Air Bag issues.

Hello,

I have a 2001 Olds Alero I have replaced the engine with one that had only 78 miles 3.4 liter. Every week Im findnig new things to replace the normal wear and tear brake bads, rotors, trans oil ect but recently I had a slew of electrical issues had to cut the yellow wire to the BCM (body control module) near glove box on passanger side this help relived the car from not starting. It works great now starts on a dime no issue that was about 4 months ago than I replaced the steering wheel colomn ( 3 hours of work!) which resloved my non functiong horn issue the plastic cylinder was worn out on my old one cheaper and easier to buy a used colomn on ebay that matched my leather gray steering wheel. I replaced the cruise switch on right side because it was working but wouldnt stay engaged. I noticed my air bag went light staed on. Check everything on and around the steering wheel to make sure its connected correctly. Cant seem to find the problem. Its just strange that the 'cruise' light wont come on and the air bag light is not shutting off the same time I worked on the steering wheel/column. Im not a mechanic but myself along with my roomate we buy and sell these aleros take out old engine put in ones with low miles under 90k. Point is we are pretty good at putting things back correctly so I know it cant be that could it be the BCM? Somebody menionteed i need to replace this.

Please give me some ideas or I have need me to answer more questions I am avaialbe!

Thanks

John

Old 01-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

You need to get the codes read to find out what is wrong with the airbag. I would guess that since you recently worked on the steering column, a wire got pinched or a connector is not fully seated in the column.