Intrigue Talk about the Oldsmobile Intrigue within...

Spark plug / ignition system maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:22 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
My '99 Olds Intrigue has 155,000+ miles on it. So far as I can tell in looking back at my records, I have never had to service the spark plugs, insulator boots, coil, etc. The owner's manual says I should have done this at 100,000 miles (at least change the plugs that is). The car is running fine although there has been a very slight decline in gas mileage in city driving. My question is whether or not I should go ahead and change out the plugs anyway. Also, the auto parts store suggested I change the coil-on-plug inuslator boot that fits over the spark plug while I'm at it. Is this a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it?". Opinions?

Thanks,

Matt
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 01-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

</>
YOU ARE CENTURIES PAST SERVICING THE CAR PROPERLY. GIVE IT A COMPLETE SERVICE , PLUGS , WIRES , AIR FILTER , FUEL FILTER , YOU MIGHT WANT TO ALSO CHANGE THE OIL. AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT????? USE THIS METHOD , READ THE OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE AS REQUIRED , GENERAL MOTORS KNOWS MORE ABOUT YOUR VEHICLE THAN YOU EVER WILL..........
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 01-29-2008, 12:34 PM

</>
First, why are you yelling!?! Second, I never mentioned anything about not having had the car serviced properly. I've done all the things you mentioned at the proper intervals. The ONE exception is that I didn't change the plugs at 100K miles as the owners manual indicates. All my service is done at what used to be an Oldsmobile dealership and they didn't indicate that I needed to replace the plugs when I took the car in for the 100K mile service. Now that I am so far past the mileage limit, in spite of the fact that I'm not having any problems, I was looking for some FRIENDLY words of wisdom.

You need to learn to read and also how to behave on a forum. My first post was in the INTRODUCTIONS section and you jump on me asking what my question is. That is NOT the place to post questions - duh! I ignored that rudeness and chalked it up to maybe you didn't notice I was posting in the introductions forum. Then, I do post my question (in the correct forum, BTW) and you yell at me.

All of my vehicles are in perfect working order and very well maintained. Think about it - a car with 155,000+ miles on it and you think I haven't bothered to change the oil and filter?!? Are you high? This car isn't having any problems but the plugs are way past their typical lifespan. I'll go to another car forum and ask my question where I will get some friendly opinions and useful discussion...

Matt
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>