New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Olds5798

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Unhappy Olds5798

Hi
Finally made it to your forum. I am now recently retired, I was a mechanic for 40 years, started out working on Falcon Jets for Falcon Jet Corp at Teterboro Airport in New Jersey for 18 years, got laid off and then worked on Forklifts for a couple different manufacturers, several different mech positions in industry then finished up 12 years working on aerial lift equipment. Still don't have enough cash but now have time to get my 57Olds 2dr 98 coupe on the road that I bought in 87 for $300.00. I bought into a lIfe long headache project parts car. Had to buy a Four door 88 in Montana and cut bottom out (floors, with rockerstucture and trunk) and weld it into my car which was decent except for Front Fender, innerfenders, wheel houses etc. Never again. What a dope. Never had the money to replace cam, heads, or rering pistons, so with the installation of a PCV sysetem the engine runs decently and doesn't build up extensive Blow By so that I can't drive it but wish I could have rebuilt entire engine. I replaced the necessaries like timing chain and gears, water pump, shimmed up the Oil pump for better pressure, replaced connecting rod bearings even though old ones were in in limits (89 oringinal hard miles) replaced two rocker shafts, rebuilt starter, carburator, New front end parts,brakes etc. Had radiator recored and I replaced trans front seal that was just dumping trans fluid. I threw a set of Cadillac notch back seats in cause (50 bucks) as I can't afford to recover the front seat now and am just trying to get it on the road without a paint job. Any how I was trying to make a slight custom look on the car decking the hood, fenders etc and my question is does anybody know what the largest size bias ply tires I can put on these rims without a problem? Your thoughts would be really appreciated.