News, Updates & Announcements Stop in here to get the latest on OF happenings! Just take a look...

Transmission Intermittent Hard Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:45 AM

GM Transmission Intermittent Hard Shifting, Clunking, Jerking

GM 4T65E - 4 speed automatic transmissions found in many
1997 and newer vehicles equipped with the 3800 engine and
most 2000 and newer vehicles with the 3400 and 3500 engines.

Description:
Everything is fine when you just started engine. (It’s just fine when cold)
Sometimes after a long drive, stop and go traffic, or when accelerate really fast. All of the sudden you’ll notice"hard shifts"where car slightly jerks when it shifts. Shutting off the car for few (10 minutes) will make this condition go away until you drive a few more miles or the vehicle warms up and the hard shifting will return. (Notice Check Engine light remains OFF)

This is perhaps one of the most common problems with this transmission.
It has been a problem since the release in 1997 and can happen for no reason
at all, even with clean fluid and very low mileage.

Solution:
Replacing Pressure Control SolenoidorEPC will most likely correct this condition and again is probably the most common problem found in any year of this transmission.

Details:
The EPC solenoid controls line pressure and has a spool valve which oscillates back and forth to regulate transmission line pressure based on commanded pcm signals dependant on lots of various inputsfrom the vehicle. The spool valve in the solenoid will bind up and cause loss of pressure control from the pcm. The pcm constantly monitors shift timing in milliseconds and if this is not within programmed parameters after a few shift cycles the pcm triggers trouble code P1811 which is Max Adapt / Long Shift. This code will not set theEngine light but will dissable all adaptive shifts and will max out line pressure in the transmission which causes the harsh shifts...

Other solution is using premium engine oil to keep systems cooler.
I have 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue with 155.000 Kmwhen it started happening.
Valvoline engine oil worked-out as an alternative solution to replacing EPC
or Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid

Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 PM

I talked to a trans guy I delivered a pizza to. My trans jerks sometimesgoing down the roadand doesn''t go into gear immediatley when cold with a one second pause. Springs he said. Old cars do this. Don''t worry about it unless it starts to slip.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

your trans guy is misinformed. trans just dont do this unless not service with proper additive, my OLD car does not do this because it has been serviced properly. my choice of additive is motor purr for transmissions. i have had 4 transmissions of friends of mine that i added motor purr and all have run another 90k when traded. one jeep was told by chrysler $2k but instead we spent 65 dollars and ran it another 90 k . fluid must be changed with motor purr added. NEVER recommend a trans flush. this is a waist of time and money.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:37 PM

Have a 1999 88... do you know of any videos or instructions on how to replace this Pressure Control Solenoid? Thanks

Old 11-03-2018, 11:56 PM

My 2002 Alero is doing this - EXACTLY!!!
Is it possible to replace the EPC/SOLENOID Myself? Where are these located on the tranny? I have tried a flush+filter replacement so I do have experience dismantling it from underneath, haha

Cheers,
C.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:42 AM

Try a TransGo shift kit.

Old 10-09-2021, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mad_Coachman
Try a TransGo shift kit.
Appreciate that man, I'll take a look!