Toronado Talk about the Oldsmobile Toronado within...

1992 Trofeo No Dash/Radio Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:53 AM

I have a very pesky problem with my 1992 Olds Toronado Trofeo', the Dash/Radio/Heater Controls do NOT light up, I am sure this is related or not, butwhen the doors open the overhead lights do not come on either. I have tested all the fuses and all the wires for continuity, everything checks out. I brought it to a mechanic and he spent an entire dayand could notlocate the problem either. He thinks I may need to replace the entire wiring harness. Since the problem does not effect the perfrormance of the car inany other way, I do not want to go through the hassle or expense to do this, does anyone have any advice for me?

Also I have not been able to get the CD player to work, it says ERR when trying to play a CD, the owners manual says that the CD player is either too hot or that the road is too bumpy for it to play. With the car in the driveway and the temperature about 40 degrees, I find either hard to believe, any suggestions??

Old 02-17-2006, 03:20 PM

he might be right on the wiring harness..otherwise i would say it needs a new BCM....there are very few manual buttons in the toro..meaning when you hit a button you are actually telling the body control computer to turn something...unlike a light switch in your home...get it?...as for the CD player...forget it..its expensive to rebuild..buy an aftermarket and bypass the factory stereo..its cheaper ...P`TownEdited by: cmeonthenewz

Old 03-03-2006, 12:38 PM

1. If the dash display only shows the odometer and only the tach is working, the iPC( insterment cluster panel) is Bad and needs repaired, I suggest Mr. Whizard tech services($189, and he paid the shipping) there is a link some where here... This thing sends all sorts of signals out to all sorts of places and might even be effcting the CD player

2courtesy lights And dash lights not working: could be the Twilight sensor. look at the middle of the defroster vent in the dash. The little round blue thing is a Photoresistor that tells the BCM its dark enough to need the Lights. I haven't been able to find a part number, but Did find one at a local junk Yard.

Good Luck!

Old 03-03-2006, 06:44 PM

the bcm and the cluster will never effect the performance of the CD other than powering on and off, you can actually pull the fuse for the "body" and the radio will still work. how ever, a bad bcm or cluster will screw with the interior lighting..your CD player doesnt work properly because itwas made in the late80's ...carry over parts http://www.mrwhizard.com/services2.cfm theres the link seems shady to me

Old 03-15-2006, 12:39 AM

I dont know how long yours has been like that, but my 91 Trofeo dash only lights up if it is dark enough. If it gets dark enough outside everything lights up, but if i turn the headlights on manually, like on a rainy day, the dash lights do not turn on.