Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

Car stalls and dies. Idles super rough

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Default Car stalls and dies. Idles super rough

My girlfriends son has a 1997 Olds cutlass. He was driving one day and car just died. Wouldn't restart. had to tow it home. Got it home changed the fuel filter and got it to start then. Idles super rough and basically have to keep it at 2500 RPMS to keep it running. Had some spark knock. CEL was on. I asked how long it had been on? About a year or so. Did it do anything before it died? No he said it just died with no warning, I'm like the CEL light is your warning...But I digress. Got it hooked up to a code reader. Pulled p0300, p0401, and p1406. Random misfire, EGR insufficient flow and EGR valve pintle. I'm very mechanical but electrical dumb, so at this point I've pulled off EGR and cleaned, tried starting. Same thing. Changed EGR, same thing. Pulled EGR and throttle body off. passageway from EGR to intake totally blocked off with carbon. Used speedometer cable to clean it out was super nasty but finally got it done. Started it up. Still idled super rough, but spark knock is gone and only have to keep RPMs at 1500 now. check the connector with multimter, according to my research, port B should be pulling 10 to 12 volts, I'm only getting .05. First thought was just changed the connector out, but then stripped coating off wire for port B, and the wire is still getting the same. Research indicated either a short in the wires from the PCM to the EGR or a bad PCM(although that is rare apparently. Like I said I'm electrically dumb, and don't know what to do now. please help?

Old 11-26-2014, 02:32 PM

every sensor has the .5 volt reference !!!!!!!!! Thats sent from computer. Now- 1st. Thing id check is the TPS!! Throttle position sensor! go here to learn= http://www.aa1car.com/sensors.htm That site is a great one . now- make sure the egr is cleaned exceptionally well along with the port it goes into.could also be blocked!! you can ? if all else doesnt seem to change =unplug the mass airflow-see if anything changes? Remember the computer gets all needed signals from temp & all engine sensors-yes temp -likely are 2 diff ones too!! Vacumn also sends signals - very important!!