442 Talk about the 442 within...

LSX Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Default LSX Swap

I want to put a Lsx in my 1969 olds 442. Can anyone shed any light on this. Is it an easy swap? What would I need to do?

Old 04-03-2010, 06:10 PM

Not my cup of tea just because, but I do understand the lure of it.
All you would need to do is get a hold of a kit for a Chevelle and go to it. It's not a cheap conversion so be prepared for that.

Now I must ask....why not just do up a 455? Direct bolt in for the 400 and make gobs of torque.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Default lsx swap

Its hard to find a good block and a good builder. I know that there is alot of oiling problems with them. On the other hand the Lsx is bullet proof. Also the after market parts are endless. I dont know much about the 455. What can you tell me about them?

Old 04-03-2010, 09:29 PM

The oiling is not all that bad. Some people tout restrictors and some have never used them. They are not high RPM screamers for sure, but can be built to live above 6500 if you are wanting to go full out. Most guys stay under 6000 and make good power. There are a couple specialty places that make good parts for them like girdles, heads and intakes.
I agree the LSx is an amazing power plant but I think you having a 442 and not a standard Cutlass or F85 would lean me towards the 455.
The 400 that came in your 442 is grossly under-square (small bore, long stroke) and has issues which is why I would suggest a 455 over the 400.
Again if you do decide to go LSx then check out some Chevelle sites and I think you could find all you needed to complete the swap.
If you want more good info on the 455 then check out oldspower.com and realoldspower.com and check out some of the builds. It's not that hard to get an A body into the 11's with a 455 if you spend your money in the right places.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
The oiling is not all that bad. Some people tout restrictors and some have never used them. They are not high RPM screamers for sure, but can be built to live above 6500 if you are wanting to go full out. Most guys stay under 6000 and make good power. There are a couple specialty places that make good parts for them like girdles, heads and intakes.
I agree the LSx is an amazing power plant but I think you having a 442 and not a standard Cutlass or F85 would lean me towards the 455.
The 400 that came in your 442 is grossly under-square (small bore, long stroke) and has issues which is why I would suggest a 455 over the 400.
Again if you do decide to go LSx then check out some Chevelle sites and I think you could find all you needed to complete the swap.
If you want more good info on the 455 then check out oldspower.com and realoldspower.com and check out some of the builds. It's not that hard to get an A body into the 11's with a 455 if you spend your money in the right places.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what i want to do yet. I have rebuilt the 400 twice so I cant aford to blow it up agian do to thin walls. The only issue I have with the lsx is my car is a #s matching car. Not to sure if I might just need to sell it.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:26 PM

If it's numbers matching then you should look into sleeving the block so it can be serviceable, but that won't be cheap. The 455 would be an easy swap and tends to be a better engine all the way around.
How did you blow the 400 twice? I mean what let loose?

Also if you do go the LSx route then putting it back to original would be a lot more costly. And I don't think you'd see the money return from the swap.

Like I said if it were not a 442 I'd say go for it, but that 344 in the VIN kinda is in the way.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by svnt442
If it's numbers matching then you should look into sleeving the block so it can be serviceable, but that won't be cheap. The 455 would be an easy swap and tends to be a better engine all the way around.
How did you blow the 400 twice? I mean what let loose?

Also if you do go the LSx route then putting it back to original would be a lot more costly. And I don't think you'd see the money return from the swap.

Like I said if it were not a 442 I'd say go for it, but that 344 in the VIN kinda is in the way.
When I got the car it had a spun rod bearing do to an oiling problem. I had it rebuilt and this being my first older hot rod I think I might have done the exact same thing by running it to hard. I guess all the oil was up top? The 400 has no hp and no tourqe. I just want somthing bad *** in it. Thats why I said I might just want to sell the car and go with something else. I have grown quite fond of the car because you never see them. What is a good year 455 block and do you know where I might pick one up?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 PM

They are out there to be had. Search craiglist and even your local papers.
All 455 blocks are a good starting point. You can use your C heads and any other mods you have on the 455 as they are the same size.
If you're really worried about starving the rod have a set of restrictors installed in the block. That will keep more oil on the mains.