Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

04 alero stick swaping help

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:09 AM

Im trying to get some stuff to spice up my car a bit, got it a few months ago and now i''ve decided to make it a little more unique...as far as my shifter, i wanna change the head on it, but idk what the heck im doing wrong. for 1 i can''t get it off, there is the plastic button on the top that shows the gears and what not, and underneath that is a black rubber button that i can''t seem to get off...so how am i supposed to get that off?
Not to mention problem 2...once i get it off, how am i going to get a nice head if i have that safety feature in whitch makes me pull a tab up right underneath the head of the shifter that goes up into the bottom of the head?
so basically i can''t get it off cuz that rubber button, and the safety lever extends up into the bottom of the head in a groove so that it allows me to shift into reverse...should i just get a whole new stick or is that safety feature in the transmission to (in that case i wouldn''t be able to get a regular stick for it cuz i wouldn''t be able to shift into reverse then)

plz help, and thanks in advance to every1 that does :-D

Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 AM

oh, and if any1 can find a repair manual i can buy on the net for a manual tranny, please tell me, i can''t find one anywere, all i can find is ones for an automatic...which kinda doesn''t help if i needa replace the clutch..