Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

2001 Alero stalling out

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Default 2001 Alero stalling out

Hello guys,

The other day I couldn't get my car started, and I was thinking maybe my battery was getting a little weak (it was in the 30's outside). It would turn over, just not start, so I let it sit for about an hour and went back out and it fired up no problem, so I parked it in the garage overnight to keep it out of the cold and in the morning it started right up, but I left it sit outside all day (mid 60's) and this evening I took it to advance for them to check my battery & alternator and the battery was weak and does need to be replaced (CCA 447 when it should be 600).

I didn't replace the battery because I wanted to check prices. Well, on my way home I was at the light and the car just about stalled on me. It was idling a little rough up/down/up/down just about stalling, so I put it in neutral and was able to keep it idling ok in neutral, but when I dropped it back into drive the rpms almost dropped to zero and I put the gas to the floor and it took off but still sputtering out, but as long as I could keep the rpms high it was ok. Unfortunately though, i had to stop on a hill and the car completely died.

It would turn over, but never fire. When I turned the key on (not to start) I could not hear the fuel pump prime itself (or whatever its doing for a few seconds). So, I thought it was a fuel pump. I had the car towed to the house, left it sitting for about an hour, turned the key to on, and I could hear the fuel pump now, but when I tried to start it, it would barely turn over - like it was almost a dead battery.

I will put the charger to the battery tomorrow and try again - but have any of you run into an issue like this before?

It's a 2001, V6 with about 135K miles.