Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

2001 Brake Fluid Level

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Default 2001 Brake Fluid Level

My son has a 2001 GX? Whichever version is the 4 cyl economy one. And I mean economy. Pieces fall off of the interior of this thing all of the time. Both front windows won't roll up all of the way unless you grab them and push them up. Anyway, it has about 72k on it. He's been delivering pizza now for a little while so he's been putting some miles on it as of late.

I changed the front brake pads about 19k back. Didn't change the rotors or get them resurfaced. I was told by the previous owner that they changed the front rotors once already.

In the past few months, I've had to add brake fluid every 2 or 3 weeks. I see no leaks around the master cylinder nor do I see any spots where he parks. It's like the stuff is just vanishing. The brakes are performing well according to him. Had the front tie rod ends replaced a few weeks back and the service guy advised the pads had about 30% left.

With other vehicles I've had to add fluid any time the front pads get low. But never as often as this. Any advice as to where this vehicle is prone to develop some type of hidden leak in the brake system? Or am I worried about nothing and just nearing the time to change the pads and rotors?

Old 07-06-2010, 02:51 PM

I would guess a wheel cylinder or flex line leaking onto the wheel where it gets flung off so you never see a puddle.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah if it has drum brakes in the rear I would check the wheel cylinders. Like said above it gets flug off or the brake dust soaks it up.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:31 AM

Disc brakes all around, no drums.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 PM

Wheel cylinders/brake calipers; they all can leak (and into a wheel). One of your's probably is.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 PM

Pulled the front wheels yesterday. Saw no leaks. Checked everything. Didn't have time to do the rear wheels. Hopefully this coming weekend. Bought more fluid today...

Old 07-11-2010, 07:54 PM

If you don't see any external leaks, pull the vacuum valve off the booster (carefully, they break), and put a long zip tie into the booster. Pull the zip tie out, if there's fluid on it, the master is leaking into it.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:41 PM

Found the leak. Last wheel I checked of course... Right rear. Leaking right through the bleeder valve. I first saw the fluid on the inside of the tire and rim. There was all kinds of corrosion around the valve and I could see a drop of fluid in the valve itself. I had the boy pump the brakes and hold them but no fluid emerged. Still, it has to be the spot. I was able to tighten it maybe another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Then I cleaned everything so I'll be able to easily see if it leaks again. If it does, which I'm thinking it will, can I simply change the valve and not the whole caliper? How difficult is it?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you found where it was leaking from. You should be able to just change the bleeder valve. Just have your son push and hold the brake pedel while you change out the bleeder valve.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:04 AM

OK, could be a dumb question here. If he holds the pedal down, wouldn't that force more fluid out through the hole where the valve had been? Or does it to the opposite and prevent so much fluid from escaping? Obviously I've never before had to replace one of these.

Quick Reply: 2001 Brake Fluid Level