Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

2003 alero help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
i have a 2003 alero i was driving it one day and it just died and would not start back up for nothing fuel pump would kick on but it wasn't getting any gas to the engine. its sat for a couple of weeks and then i just thought i would start it one day to see if it would and it start right up which is werid cause i tried it a week before and it would not start. i just had the fuel fliter changed after it started up just to be on the safe side and at first it wouldn't start back up but then my dad hit the bottum of the gas tank and it start right back up and so far i haven't had anymore problems out of it knockk on wood. but i was wondering what you guys thought was wrong with my car. i'm a girl and i'm clueless when it comes to cars but i'm learning. no one around me knows much about alerosso maybe you guys can help.

judy
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

A common issue with not starting is the Passlock security system. If the security light is flashing or on steady after a failed start attempt, you might have a Passlock issue.

Another common problem is the fuel pump wiring. The pump is on the gas tank, so maybe that's why hitting the tank worked- it wiggled the wiring.

If you can hear the pump running, you might have the fuel pressure regulator looked at.

Please post how many miles and which engine you have. Also, were any lights on after it failed to start?
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-09-2008, 11:52 PM

</>
ok sorry it took me awhile to get back on here been moving...

my 2003 alero the engine is 2.2L L4 Ecotec and i'm now at 107 miles yeah i know high for an 03. i didn't notice any lights yeah i know i should of looked but i'm a girl and i didn't think about that at the time.

I now have a new problem... my car died again and i hit the tank like i did before and it started back up and it idled ready funky i'll almost got it home and it died again and this time i couldn't just get out and hit the tank for it to start back up without someone in the car trying to start lucky for me it was at the end of my road so my boyfriend tried starting it while i did that he drove it home for me and he told me it wouldn't idle above 1000 rpms the hole time he was driving it and the check engine light is on now. i just tried starting it and it turns over and starts for like maybe 5 seconds the whole time idleing really funky and then dies and i try again and it won't start back however it tries to turn over so i don't i was going to drive to a shop but now it won't stay running for 5 seconds so i'm hoping someone on here can give me hint as to what my problem might be.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 11-16-2008, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Iflylow

A common issue with not starting is the Passlock security system. If the security light is flashing or on steady after a failed start attempt, you might have a Passlock issue.

Another common problem is the fuel pump wiring. The pump is on the gas tank, so maybe that''s why hitting the tank worked- it wiggled the wiring.

If you can hear the pump running, you might have the fuel pressure regulator looked at.

Please post how many miles and which engine you have. Also, were any lights on after it failed to start? &lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt; </>&lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-46"; urchinTracker(); </>
please email me the fix passlock thank you

Old 11-17-2008, 12:52 PM

I have a 2004 with 160,000 miles, all of a sudden it was bucking and then just quit. Fuel pump bad, not cheap, in the tank,3 to 5 hundred dollars to repair. By the way, it took out a relay when it went bad