Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

99 alero misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Default 99 alero misfiring

I have a 99 alero with the 2.4 engine. I bought a diagnostics thing and its saying random misfire the car has 138 thousand miles I replaced plugs and caps that didnt help the service engine soon light is on sometimes it blinks and sometimes it stays solid. The car would crank a couple days ago but it would spit out debris from the tailpipe and the bumper melts and burns also when I give it gas alot or trying to move it gets red hot under there the thing before the catayltic converter it cuts off immediatly when I turn on ac when I accelerate in park it cuts off b4 it makes this squeaky belt chirping noise now its very rough even at idle. It want crank now. But it will only do it when it wants to I can hear the starter and guel pump but it wont chuggle or nothing whats wrong with my car.?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

First, please use some punctuation, I had to read your post 4 times to figure out what you were trying to say.

A question:
What debris comes out of the tailpipe? Is it metal, chunks of carbon, liquid, or something else?

At the very least, I think you have a plugged catalytic converter. It could cause all of your symptoms except the no crank. By the severity of symptoms, I would get the cat checked immediately so you don't do any more damage, like burning an exhaust valve. GM had a run of bad cats and there is extended warranty coverage but I think it runs out at 100K, and it might not have applied to the 2.4 anyway.
Fix the cat and then let us know if you still are having problems.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:09 PM

Its like aluminum fold coming out the tailpipe, its not liquid its little flakes. When I attempt to start it, it sounds like a power drill, but I have to try a long time to get it cranked. What would cause all this?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Your catalytic convertor is toast. You need a new one. The baffles inside have come apart and are blocking the exhaust.
You may also have a starter problem, but do the cat first.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:03 PM

I took the cat off still no crank. Now the dash goes crazy when I try to crank it, everything stays on without the key, but it eventually turn off.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:30 AM

Turns out that was the battery. Could it be the security system shutting off the fuel pump?

Old 07-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Passlock on the Alero only prevents the PCM from enabling fuel to the injectors, it doesn't shut off the fuel pump.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by Iflylow
Passlock on the Alero only prevents the PCM from enabling fuel to the injectors, it doesn't shut off the fuel pump.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Someone please help me! I cant get it cranked anymore, it clicks and tries to start but wont crank but wont chuggle/start. And the last time I got it crank something forced it to shut off real quick, sounded like a chirp when it cut off. Its not the belt though..... Someone please help me... Also when I gave it gas fire was coming out the exhuast b4 I put a new cat on

Old 07-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

I bet your battery is dead from all the cranking. Charge it up before continuing to troubleshoot the problem. I would pull all the spark plugs and see if one of them is wet with fuel, maybe you have an injector stuck open. This could also be a crank position sensor problem.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Iflylow
I bet your battery is dead from all the cranking. Charge it up before continuing to troubleshoot the problem. I would pull all the spark plugs and see if one of them is wet with fuel, maybe you have an injector stuck open. This could also be a crank position sensor problem.
It wont even start with starter fluid. The plugs are good.

Quick Reply: 99 alero misfiring