Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

ABS, Low Trac, Service Light coming on.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:37 PM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
Having had same problem with my son Gran Prix GPT took car to dealer had scan tool used. charged $80. wanted over $500 to replace reat bearing sensor assembly. Had one front replaced last year before taking to dealer I replaced other front thinking it was defective. Purchased new rear bearing (made in USA not China) for a little over $100. Before replacing bearing took ohm reading on new bearing speed sensor and old one that was defective and one front one I had replaced before of the three I checked the bad one was open the othersIchecked to get readings on all for future use three good ones were all the same. From this I deducted it is possible to check each one with ohm meter. I removed plug in wire from bearing sensor andapplied dielctric grease to connections. The bad one i took apart to see what made it work the electrical connections and inside of bearingand coil for sensor were rusty& nbsp;& nbsp;& nbsp;& nbsp;& nbsp;

Old 09-14-2007, 05:17 AM

Hey thanks, That helps a lot.

What kind of reading did you get on the good ones?

Old 09-14-2007, 11:41 AM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
SymRealOnLoad();
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

//-->
</>
The reading I got was 1000 ohs this was on a 30 year old Radio Shack analog meter . The bad one had no reading at all. When I took it apart the "wire" was real thin like hair.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:52 AM

Great; I've been looking for an excuse for a new multi-meter.

So when you take the plug out of the hub, is ther only two prongs there to test?

Old 09-17-2007, 03:32 PM

So I got the multi meter and jacked up the car. I tested the front and got a reading of a little over 1000 on the passanger side and 0 on the drivers side.

I thought I would test the back while I had the car on jack stands but they are a lot tougher to get to on the Alero.

Since I found a bad on on the front, I'll replace that and see what I get in the way of lights on the dash.Edited by: zoomie

Old 09-23-2007, 09:18 PM

so basically, if i were to change the hub wheel bearing, it will solve the problem on dash board and my abs and trac will be activate agian???

Old 09-24-2007, 09:55 AM

If after that you still have a problem these guys http://www.siaelec.com/index.asp have good price on abs unit compared to all auto parts stores I checked. I hope the bearing isyour problem that iseasy self fix.
< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
SymRealOnLoad();
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

//-->
</>

Old 10-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Sounds like a good thing to get a recal on. I have the same problem on mine. I also think that my wheel bearings are going out. I will check my sensors. I know I didn't ask this question but thanks to all.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 PM

I have two aleros and had this happen to one in the fall, and did not have time to deal with it. Stealer charged $545.00 total to fix it. Diagnosed the front right sensor toast and changed the hub.

Now alero #2 is showing abs traction issues and I plan on fixing it myself. Discs, pads and hibs are cheap on EBay. Thanks for the tips so far, post new info if you guys have any more ideas.

ALSO- the new hubs and wheel nuts have diff torque values, did you all know this?
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 05-23-2008, 07:28 AM

Changing the hub is not a big deal. Make sure you have 6pnt sockets for the three bolts at the back of the hub, I found them a little soft. and yest the torque settings are included in the package.
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Quick Reply: ABS, Low Trac, Service Light coming on.