Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Brake pad wear!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Default Brake pad wear!

I replaced my front pads and rotors, and noticed that the inside pads (up against the caliper) was worn right down compared to the outside pads, not only was this the same on both sides but when i did the rear as well 8 months ago. Is this type of wear normal?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Rotor could be warped, sliders could be seized, very cheap if not free fixes.

Get the sliding pin bolts out and if theyre all gross and icky clean them up, grease them and put them back in, if they dont go in then you have to clean the rubber boots they go in, could be swollen due to rust under the rubber which is always a fun job.

If the rotor feels bumpy or looks almost mirror like then it needs to be resurfaced which is probably your problem. Most places do this for very little labor, if they have a brake lathe that is. I know a few places dont bother getting them and just try to make you buy new rotors which is rediculous. Also if the labor of getting them resurfaced is more than an hour for 2 rotors you're being screwed.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mine were the same way the last time I replaced my pads and rotors.

The inside pad will have a little more wear than the outside because the piston is pushing from the force of the master cylinder. The outside pad is just pulled when the piston pushes on the inside pad so it doesn't have the same force. Its pretty close to the same for as the inside but not quite as much.

As baker said the slide pins are the main cause of this. Like I told you before they need to be lubed well.

Also like baker said, the rotors could have been warped. The OEM rotors on the Alero were junk and warped really easy. If your steering wheel shook when coming to a stop that is a sign they were warped. Since you said in the other thread that you got new pads and rotors you should be good to go as long as those slide pins got lubed up.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:28 PM

Actually i just picked up some new slide pins today, so when i check for the bearing noise this weekend, i will swap out the old pins with the new ones.

Thanks Guys, the picture you took of your pads are exactly what mine look like.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wutagoalie
Actually i just picked up some new slide pins today, so when i check for the bearing noise this weekend, i will swap out the old pins with the new ones.

Thanks Guys, the picture you took of your pads are exactly what mine look like.
Thats what happens when you don't maintain stuff I guess. I usually check my brake pad wear about every six months but I hadn't done that for quite some time.

Hope you find out which bearing it is.