Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Changing out plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Default Changing out plugs!

Hey guys, can someone start me off in the right path for changing my plugs. 2002 3.4L

Never changed them before, just need the steps and what precautions i need to take.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

They aren't too bad. The back three kinda suck though. I use a 6" extention and a ratchet. Get a towel and put it on the intake manifold, put your knees on the towel to get the rear three. The front 3 are cake walk. I would mark your wires as to what plug they go to so you don't mix them up. If you changing plugs and wires do one plug and wire at a time.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 PM

Is it hard to do the wires? What plugs would you recomend? by chance what is the plug gaps?

Thanks Rusty

Old 05-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Your owners manual tells the plug gaps, I think I remember it being .60, but check to be sure.
I'd go with Delco plugs, some folks have problems with other brands, these engines seem to be picky on plugs, wires, and catalytic converters. I've heard of issues with Bosch plugs, but some people run them with no problems.

Wires are easy, just do one at a time, and route them the same as original. I'd get some spark plug boot grease to make it easier. It comes in little packets, usually by the cash register at Carquest. When I removed my old wires, the tops of the coil packs were corroded, so you may also want some scotchbrite to clean that up.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah the gap is .60 like Iflylow said. He is also right about the plugs, AC Delco are the best plugs I have used in the Alero so far. I put Bosch plugs in once, they were in the car less then an hour before I pulled them out. Misfired like a ****.

As for the plug wires, just like Iflylow said, one at a time. I have seen people go to change plug wires, take all the wires off and have no clue what wire goes were. And Iflylow is talking about dielectric grease, good stuff. Prevents corossion and the wires come off the plugs and coils easyer for the next time you have to change them.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:57 AM

perfect, thanks guys. I have a torque wrench ,any chance you guys know the torque specs for putting the plugs back in?

Also, what do you recommend as far as wires, Ac delco as well?

Old 05-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

I would go with the Delco wires as well, although it doesn't seem to be as sensitive to wires as plugs.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:43 AM

Do you guys recommend putting some ant-seaze around the plug threads?

Torque specs for the plugs?

Old 05-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wutagoalie
Do you guys recommend putting some ant-seaze around the plug threads?

Torque specs for the plugs?
I would put some anti seaze on the threads, makes them easyer to get out the next go round. You don't really need to torque the plugs, I never have and have never had a problem, but if you want its 132 in lbs or around 11 ft lbs.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Iflylow
I would go with the Delco wires as well, although it doesn't seem to be as sensitive to wires as plugs.
Yeah the motor isn't as picky about wires as it is about plugs. I would go with Delco wires also....... or get a set of MSD wires for cheaper.

These are 8.5mm MSD wires.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294907386

These are 7.00mm Delco wires.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

These are 8.00mm Delco wires.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I don't know why the 8mm Delco wires are cheaper than the 7mm Delco wires.

Quick Reply: Changing out plugs!