Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Check engine,ABS, Track off

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Default Check engine,ABS, Track off

Hey guys, the other day i approached a stop sign, right at the near end of my stop, the brakes started to pulsate (almost like i was slipping on some ice and the ABS was kicking in) .Now the Check engine,ABS, Track off lights are on and the brakes are fine, because the ABS is not working.

What is the symptom, all i can think of is the ABS sensor?

Where is it located?

Thanks

Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

The ABS sensor is in the wheel bearing.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Wow, in the wheel bearing? how would i know which one is bad? (because the bearings left and right are both good)
Also, am i correct assuming it is the wheel bearing with those lights that have lit up my dash board

Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 PM

Check the codes. They "should" indicate which side is bad. You may also give it a quick once over to make sure the sensor is still plugged in and the harness isn't cut.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:40 PM

I tried to get the codes, but no codes come up with a service engine light. Seems that the codes will only come up when the check engine light is on. That's with 2 different reliable scanners.

I was hoping to find out the problem side, i will check the connectors. If both connectors are properly plugged in, what is my next step?

Old 10-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

The sensors as rusty said are in the wheel bearings (all 4 of them). Only an ABS capable scanner will see the codes for a bad sensor.
Check the connectors for corrosion and connection. It is common for them to leak. Then trace the wires back as far as you can, paying special attention to anywhere they cross a steering or suspension component. It's very common to have a kinked or broken wire, causing the computer to loose signal from a sensor, and therefore disabling the ABS system, which would cause all of your lights. I would look at the fronts first, since they are subject to more flexing than the rears.
The sensor cannot be replaced without replacing the bearing, since they are built in.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:46 PM

I picked up some electrical contact cleaner that you spray on electrical connections and let it air dry without wiping. If i don't see any issues with the wiring or connections. How would i figure out what bearing/sensor is bad?

Old 11-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes a bad bearing can be found by jacking the car, grabbing the wheel at the top and bottom, and checking for play by pulling in and out. Generally, any play at all, and the bearing is bad. This is not a foolproof test, though.
If that doesn't work, find someone with an ABS capable scanner to read the codes.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM

My bearings are both good, i had a front end inspection a few weeks ago, they used a stethascope and told me my bearing were fine.

I had taken it in because of a load front end noise. it ended up being my tires, they were badly cupped and needed to be replaced. I will need to try and ABS scanner

Old 11-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

The sensor in the bearing can still be bad even though the bearing is good.

Quick Reply: Check engine,ABS, Track off