Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Cruise control button won't stay on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default Cruise control button won't stay on.

I'm working on a fix for what the title says. If your cruise button will not stay pressed, please post here how you fixed it. I went to a junkyard, and took apart a few switches, so I have a good idea what the failure point is, and when I get a reliable fix, I'll post it here.

My first attempt worked for about 5 presses.

Okay, here is what I've done. This fix lasted for 25 cycles so far, we'll see how it holds up in everyday driving.

I used a small flat bladed screwdriver, superglue for plastic, a good pair of needlenose pliers, and shop light. You might also want a baggie or clean rag to lay parts on.
First turn your steering wheel until the cruise button is easily accessible. For me, this was with the button on top, and the wheel lowered all the way. Then my light could lay on the dash and be out of the way.
To remove the cover, insert the screwdriver near the front edge and pry up. The cover is held in position by a tab on the back (towards the front of the car) bottom. Once that tab releases, the cover will slide off towards the front of the car.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...verremoval.jpg

Here is a picture showing the tab just above my finger:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...ontrol/tab.jpg

If your button failed the same way mine did, you will see a tiny black three-toothed gear, and a clear plastic shaft laying in the button housing somewhere. It's very tiny, and can hide in a lot of places. Here's what I'm talking about:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...ntrol/gear.jpg

Put it somewhere safe. The shaft will need to be glued back where it came from:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...trol/shaft.jpg

When you glue, be sure that no glue gets on the side of the channel the shaft moves in.

Be certain you get it glued back just right. If it is tilted in any direction, the gear will not turn correctly. When the button is pushed, the gear turns against two tabs on either side of the channel:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...DSCF0024-1.jpg

Allow plenty of time for the glue to dry, or you will be doing this again like I had to. Ordinary super glue has worked for me. I tried Liquid Nails, but it wouldn't stick. I also considered rearview mirror glue, if this doesn't work, I'll use that next time.

When the glue is dry, put the gear back on the shaft. Do not use any lube, or the gear will not rotate as it should. Notice that it has a big and little tooth on each arm. Looking at the right side of the gear, the big tooth goes towards the back of the car. Press the button a few times to make sure it works. If it doesn't, most likely you put the gear in backwards.

When you reinstall the cover, be very careful to not break the pin you just glued. There is very little clearance between the cover and the pin.

If you try this and have any ideas for a better/easier process, please post. Also, let us know how durable your fix is, or if your button failed in a different way. So far, I've seen 4 different ones, and three failed at the clear shaft.

Last edited by Iflylow; 07-14-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Update, added fix.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah mine doesn't stay on either. I have some paper wedged in there so it stays on all the time now. I would like to know the fix when you figure it out.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

I used to use a dime wedged in there, and that worked, but it also looked hideous. The fix I'm working on will hopefully restore the switch to new condition.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:03 PM

Did your problem got solved? How you have done this? I am having the same problem.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Been busy this weekend. Next week I will have some time to work on it though.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Updated, see first post.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Great info! I'm gonna try this when I have a day off.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:33 AM

Mine quit working too and we cute the corner of an old bank card and wedged it up in there. It stays on all the time and we have ran it like that for years now without problem. Much cheaper than the dealership fixing/replacing the switch.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:29 AM
Default Cruise control button wont stay on

Im interested in this - i have seen on some websites that cruise control can be offered with a remap, and the remap can be set to different levels using the cruise control stalk. will post more info when i find it.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2001Alero
Mine quit working too and we cute the corner of an old bank card and wedged it up in there. It stays on all the time and we have ran it like that for years now without problem. Much cheaper than the dealership fixing/replacing the switch.
After playing around with Crazy Glue I came up with something similar:
1. Break apart a black 3 1/2" floppy disk and throw away the spinning disk part.
2. Take one of the halves, and where the plastic is thin where the spinning disk ran, cut a piece about 1/8" high, and cut the length to be the same width as the flat part on the top of the button before the rounded corners.
3. At this point the edges where you cut it are gray. Burnished the top with the side of a screw driver or whatever to make the edge black.
4. Slide it into the area on the top of the button. (It will not be a tight fit.)
5. With it in that position, push the button down and push the little pice of plastic down there with it, with a small flat blade screw driver. The button will not feel tight or wedged or forced against one side of the opening, but it will remain locked down, and there are no visible artifacts of the operation to destroy the button's appearance. Of course the light and cruise are always on now, but I can't think of a reason why I would ever want it off.

Last edited by JackT; 11-20-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Cruise control button won't stay on.