Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Dash lights will not work, door locks will not work, windows will not work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:16 AM
Default Dash lights will not work, door locks will not work, windows will not work.

Hey everyone!

My car is doing some really weird and scary stuff. (I'm not good at this, so I'm going to try to make sense). The vehicle is a 2004 Oldsmobile Alero V6 4door with keyless entry.

It was running fine until yesterday when my boyfriend (for my birthday. =[) went to install an after market stereo player. We noticed after the install that NONE of the dash lights were working, the dimmer for the lights was also not working, none of the door locks could be controlled from the inside, the windows would not work. The more I look the more I find.

What's strange is I can only lock and unlock the doors with my keyless entry although the car will not honk when I do so like it used to.

We replaced the original stereo in the car and the same problems persist. There's this weird beeping noise coming from it (not the door chime) and the radio is really dim unless I pull up the e-brake and then it's bright.

My father is a tech and he thinks that I may of messed up the BCM. I've been googling it all morning and I can't find any information on what it is and what it does. I'm not sure if there's a way to reprogram it. It seems like the electronics in the car are acting up or are backwards. By the way no fuses are blown we checked that.

Please help! I want my car back to normal again. =[

Old 06-20-2010, 03:20 PM

Happy Birthday.

There are fuses in either end of the dash as well as those under the hood. These are pretty diverse problems, so there may be some fuse(s) blown.

Did he change any wires when he first replaced the radio? Maybe they're not all back correctly?

I think that the radio has an anti-theft feature that disables it after it's been removed until some code is put in somehow. Worry about that when everything else is working.

Good luck.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 AM

If all the fuses are OK you either have a bad potentiometer for the dash lights or you had a voltage surge that took out all the gauge lights at the same time.
As stupid as it sounds, make sure you didn't turn the dimmer for the dash lights off by mistake, it happens.