Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Front-end bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Smile Front-end bearings

Hello, I am having an issue with a loud humming type nosie comming from the front end that gets louder as the speed increases. Seems like it's comming from the one side (drivers side) Is it possible that it is the wheel bearing? If so, how hard is it to fix myself, i am very handy but not a mechanic. I do my own brakes and rotors with no issues. Would a haynes repair manual help me out?

Thanks

Old 03-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Default Does this make sense?

I pulled these steps of the web, do they make sense to anyone?

First, you will be replacing the whole hub assembly. The wheel bearings cannot be serviced individually, you must replace the whole hub.

1. Remove the wheel

2. Remove the brake caliper, make sure you support the caliper so it is not hanging by the brake line.

3. Remove the caliper bracket.

4. Disconnect the ABS wires.

5. Loosen your axle nut until it is almost all the way off the shaft.

6. Remove the three bolts holding the hub to the strut.

7. Pull on the hub while hitting the axle nut with a hammer until the hub loosens. (An assistant is helpful at this point).

8. Remove the axle nut and hub.

9. Replace hub by reversing the above procedures.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah those are the sets you need to take. Do you know for sure its the wheel bearing? I'm not saying its not because they are a known problem with the Alero, but I would sure before I dropped $100 on one.
The thing I would do before you even put a jack under the car is get that axle nut broke loose. If you have an impact gun it will help alot. This way you have the weight of the car on the ground and the tranny isn't taking the pressure as you try and turn the nut. Don't take the nut off the axle though, not till you get the car in the air and the tire off. Take the caliper off(2 15mm slide pin bolts) and use a bunge cord or zip tie to hold it from hanging. Then the caliper bracket, not sure what size they are. Probably 17 or 18mm. Then do steps 4, 6, 7 but don't hit it with a hammer, use a rubber mallet, 8, and 9.
When putting everything back together I would grease the caliper slide pin bolts, that is one of the major reasons calipers lock up. Most people don't thing those two bolts do anything but they take all the brake pressure from that wheel.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks, this helps. couple of questions. To get the axle nut loose, do i attempt this while the full weight ot the car is down? ( I do have an impact gun) How tight do i have to tighten the axle nut when i am done? Also the caliper slide pins, where are they, and what type of grease should i use?

Last will a haynes manual realy help me out on this?

Thanks, for all your help

Old 03-15-2009, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah with the full weight of the car on the ground. Just pop the lug nut cover off and toosen the axle nut then jack the car up and take the tire off. I will have to look around for the torque specs on the axle nut, GM has revised the specs a few times so I'm nut sure what the right torque spec is.

The caliper slide pins are on the back side of the caliper. They hold the caliper to the caliper braket and allow the caliper to slide when the brakes are pressed. You can't miss them when you are looking at the caliper. They look like normal bolts till you pull them out. I would think any high temp grease would work, any auto parts store should have something. I use Mystik JT-6 grease. I'm sure Napa carries it. The only reason I use the JT-6 is because I have a case in the garage that I got for free. If I had to buy something I would a lithium grease that is heat and moisture resistant.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Default perfect

In your first reply, If it is not the bearing by chance, what else would it be?

Old 03-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Well know that I reread your first post where you said the humming gets loader the faster you go, that sounds like a wheel bearing. Does it make a gringing noise when your turing one way or the other? I was thinking it could be the strut plate bearing or maybe a broken spring but they wouldn't make that type of sound when you speed up. Does your ABS, TRAC, and Service Engine Soon lights come on?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

I gave you some wrong info. The slide pins aren't 15mm, they are 12mm on the front, 15mm on the rear. I took some pics so you can see.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

You can get a little packet of slide pin grease (SilGlide I think is the name) at any auto parts place. One packet is supposed to be enough for both sides. It's about a dollar.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Default Thanks for the pics

Rusty, thanks for the pics, that really helps out. Were you able to find the torque specs on the axle nut? Also i dont have a large enough socket for the axle nut, by chance do you know the size???

Thanks

Quick Reply: Front-end bearings