Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Fuel filter replacement gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Default Fuel filter replacement gone bad

Totally my fault, I understand that, but I would love a little advice.

So I wanted to change the fuel filter on my Oldsmobile Alero, and I noticed that on the fuel pump side of the filter, there is, what looks like a snap, on the end of it. (black in colour) I went to pinch the snap and pull it off, but when I did I ended breaking the black tabs.

I came on here and found a thread that said to try using a flat head screw driver to push down on the tab and release the line from the filter. I tried this, but instead of the line coming out of the filter, I ended up breaking the end of the filter off....

I can see inside the line, and I can see the break, but I can't get it out of there, so I figure I have two options.

1) I can replace the fuel pump, which should then come with a new line.

2) And I'm banking on this one, I can buy the line separately, drop the fuel tank, and replace the old one with a new one.

3) Hopefully one of you guys have an idea as to how I can get the broken piece out of the line.

Now, I know this is getting a bit long, but is option 2 possible? Any advice, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I know of the special tool NOW, and I'm have no one to blame but myself, so please take it easy on me

Thanks guys!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

We've all done something like that...some of us just yesterday...
I don't remember how much space there is between the filter and the pump, but you could try cutting the line off and splicing in a new section.

Maybe you can get a pick or something small in the line and break up the remains of the clip, then hook the filter section and pull it out.

If the line can be removed from the pump, you might be able to take it off and push the filter piece out the other end.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:56 PM

Those are some fantastic ideas! Thanks so much!

I'm going to be working on it this weekend, I'll report back.