Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:55 PM

Hello,

I have 2001 Alero, recently i''ve been getting this annoying sound and vibration ....im not exactly sure where it''s coming from but im suspecting that it''s coming from the driver side wheel..... also, the sound gets worse when i''m on the highway(Faster speed)

Any suggestion will be appreciated

Thanks

Greg

Old 10-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a wheel bearing. Does it get worse when you turn one way or the other?

Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 PM

hi, thanks for your replay!!

yes, the sound (do do do do sound) and vibration gets worse when i make slight turn on the highway but not really when im on the local streets.

Do you think this is wheel bearing?? If it is, how come i don''t get any warning light on the dash board??? (example, abs, trac off and service vehicle soon lights)

please let me know

Greg

Old 10-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

It is possible for the bearing itself to go bad without damaging the wheel speed sensor that is built into it. Until the sensor is bad, you won''t get any lights.

I would look for uneven tire wear and a wheel out of balance before I''d change a bearing, in your case. It''s a quick and easy (cheap) fix if that is the problem. However, I agree with Rusty, it does have the usual bad bearing symptoms.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Iflylow, would warped rotors cause the same kind of symptoms when driving or would it only be when you brake? I have never had warped rotors, even though I still have my stock rotors on the car, so I was wonding if maybe that could be his problem.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 AM

Thanks guys!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Warped rotors are only noticeable when you brake. I''ve had several sets warp, and never been able to tell without braking.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Alright, thanks. I thought that maybe the rotor being warped would through the rotational mass off that it would cause vibrations even when not braking.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:05 AM

Hi, thank you guys for all your inputs!!!

My alero vibrates and makes noise even when i don''t step on the brake pedal. However, before all this happened, my car did vibrate everytime when i stepped on the brake pedal. Therefore, most likely i have warped rotors and broken wheel hub/bearing???

Please let me know

Thanks guys!!!

always appreciated!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 06:28 PM

yeah sounds like it....