Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

i have some import ? got car last night

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 12:05 AM

i have a couple ?s hopefully some of u may be able to help me i just purchased a 01 aleros 2.4 with 118*** miles

ok how hard is it to do a tune up such as oil change sparks plugs cooling system change n other. i also have this like that says change oil and the lady said all i have to do is reset it how do u do this. and there is another light that says low tire presure n i checked it n all four tires r correct. what is the cause of that. what product do u guys recommend or what product should i stay away. if u guys no any links on how to or anything i would really thanks u guys.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

ON THE QUESTION OF TIRE PRESSURE LIGHT; THERE ARE TWO SYSTEMS THAT I AM AWARE OF AND I DONT KNOW WHICH ONE YOUR CAR HAS. YOU SHOULD CHECK THE SIZE OF ALL 4 TIRES AS HAVING THE INCORRECT SIZE ON ONE OR MORE WHEEL WILL MAKE THE SYSTEM BELIEVE YOU HAVE A PRESSURE PROBLEM. NEXT AN ONBOARD DIAGNOSTIC TESTER , ( SOME AUTO PARTS STORES WILL PERFORM THE TEST FOR YOU AT NO CHARGE ) SHOULD TELL YOU WHICH TIRE POSITION IS SHOWING LOW PRESSURE. YOU MAY HAVE TO REPLACE A SENSOR INSIDE THE TIRE TO GET THE SYSTEM BACK IN ORDER. IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWNERS MANUEL IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO RESET THE OIL LIGHT OR ASK THE FORUM IF SOMEONE WILL CHECK THEIR OWNERS MANUEL AND GIVE YOU DIRECTIONS. ON THE SUBJECT OF OIL CHANGES AND TUNE-UPS , BE CAREFUL AS INEXPERIENCE CAN BE VERY COSTLY. MY RULE THAT I USE ON AUTO REPAIRS IS IF I DONT UNDERSTAND THE REPAIR AND CANNOT FIND HELP IN UNDERSTANDABLE TEXT I DONT ATTEMPT. SOME LIBRARYS HAVE ACCESS TO ONLINE AUTO REPAIR SITES. GOOD LUCK AND PROCEED WITH CAUTION..

Old 01-12-2007, 02:46 AM

hey thanks for the advice i myself am very handy with car i checked out the sprak plugs n they seem like they need to be replaced what brand of spark plugs should i use and as for drianing the system how would i go with that. i like working on car i work all the time on mustangs gt i have my own 2002 and i got this alero for my wife its very nice barely got it couple days ago and im already doing a custom interior on it myself thats what a work in.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

YOUR LOCAL PARTS HOUSE CAN RECOMMEND SPARK PLUGS, PROBABLY CAME WITH A/C BRAND. AS FAR AS DRAINING THE COOLANT SYSTEM I WOULD LOOK FOR SOMETHING IN TEXT TO BE SURE I DIDNT CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS THAN SOLVE.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

From the owner's manual: To reset the tire monitor system: Turn the ignition switch to On (engine not running).

Press and release the Reset button located in the driver's side fuse block. The Change Oil light will begin to flash. (Press and hold the Reset button until a chime sounds to reset the Oil life monitor now). Otherwise...Press and release the Reset button again. The Change Oil light will go off, and the Tire Pressure light will start flashing. When the Tire Pressure light is flashing, press and hold the Reset button until the chime sounds. The light should go off.

GM recommends AC Delco 41-942 Platinum plugs for the 2.4L engine.