Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Was I sold the correct battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Default Was I sold the correct battery?

I have a 2000 Alero. I replaced the battery today (went to a battery store instead of an auto parts store at the advice of a neighbor.)

The battery they gave me is a "Ready Power" and the specs read:
Part number: VL70DT
Voltage: 12
CCA @ 0 Degrees F: 450
CA @ 32 degrees F: 560
(Stated as Farm Use on receipt)

The specs for the recommended battery on Advance Auto Parts' site:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Battery,-Group-Size-75,-650-CCA-AutoCraft-Silver_2040026-P_2916_R|GRPBATTAM2_1372042062___#fragment-2

Group Size:75
Voltage:12
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) @ 0°F:650
Cranking Amps @ 32°F:810
Reserve Capacity (minutes):95
-------------------------------------------------

I can go get more info off the battery if needed.
I don't know much about them, but it concerns me that the info doesn't match what was recommended on the website. Didn't find anything in the owner's manual, no luck online either about getting a list of approved batteries.
My car also takes a few seconds longer to turn over than it did with the old battery before it died. Again, making me think it's not the right fit.

Any insight is appreciated!

Old 11-13-2010, 01:47 AM

Well it's a dual terminal battery. But I'd say the cranking amps are a bit low. Newer cars have a lot of electronics that put a high demand on the charging system and that can take it's toll on the battery. Especially if you are in a colder climate. I'd be leery of that battery somewhere it gets below 0°F.
I work for a parts store and I wouldn't have sold you that battery if I could have avoided it. To me it looks like either you or the salesman were looking for the cheapest thing you could get that would "fit" the car. Beleive me that's not the way to go.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by svnt442
Well it's a dual terminal battery. But I'd say the cranking amps are a bit low. Newer cars have a lot of electronics that put a high demand on the charging system and that can take it's toll on the battery. Especially if you are in a colder climate. I'd be leery of that battery somewhere it gets below 0°F.
I work for a parts store and I wouldn't have sold you that battery if I could have avoided it. To me it looks like either you or the salesman were looking for the cheapest thing you could get that would "fit" the car. Beleive me that's not the way to go.
Agreed. I'd take it back and get something closer to the specs you found on Advance Auto's website. The few extra $ will be well worth it on that -5 degree morning when you are late for work!

Old 11-13-2010, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm wondering if they didn't have the "correct" battery so they just gave me that one. I'll definitely be taking it back, even if I have to go to advance auto to get a replacement. It does sometimes drop below 0 around here.