Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

This is not my week !

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Default This is not my week !

I am changing my pads and rotors today and noticed that 1 of the 2 lower caliper bolts (13mm) is stripped from the garage i took it to a couple of years ago. I did everything to try and carefully remove this bolt but by this point its completely rounded the head and i mean this thing is on friggin tight.

Im stuck with the car jacked up, How do i remove this thing????????????? Please help

Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a way to get some heat on it it will come right out. Just don't get anything else hot because the seals in the caliper. If you got a little propane torch that would do the trick. Heat it up and put some channel locks on it.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

You could try to grind off the edges to make it square, then use channel locks or a large adjustable wrench. Soaking it with penetrating oil will help also.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:59 PM

Thanks guys, i had a small torch that i used, heated it up and used some wd-40. But the trick wasthat i went to a hardware store and picked up a set of 5 sockets with teeth or blades inside that grab when reversing. They are specifically for rounded bolts or nuts. For the time being i purchased a new bolt (same size) just to get by for now , and on monday i will have to purchase a new one from the dealership. It wasnt the Top caliper bolts that hold the slide pins, it was one of the caliper mounting bolts (bottom 2) .

One more thing, now that my pads and rotors are all new in the front, i am still getting that humming noise from the front end. I will mess around tomorrow see if i can hand spin one tire at a time to see if i have a bad rotor. ( still no warning lights have come on yet)

Old 03-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

You mean a bad hub, right? You may be able to buy that caliper bolt cheaper from Autozone or Carquest. Glad you got it out though, that can turn a 1 hour project into an all day project!

Old 03-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you got it out. Sounds like it was tight as hell. Thats why in your wheel bearing thread I said to use mediam threadlocker. Sounds like the shop put high strength threadlocker.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by rustyballs_69
Glad you got it out. Sounds like it was tight as hell. Thats why in your wheel bearing thread I said to use mediam threadlocker. Sounds like the shop put high strength threadlocker.
Yes they did, because i noticed the red threadlocker which is high strength, i used the blue which is medium. Good call Rusty

Old 03-28-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Iflylow
You mean a bad hub, right? You may be able to buy that caliper bolt cheaper from Autozone or Carquest. Glad you got it out though, that can turn a 1 hour project into an all day project!
Yeah, i mean bad hub & bearing assembly. I already have a new one but am still confused on what side is bad. I will try and lift the front end up and spin the wheels by hand and listen for the difference, thats about all i have!

Old 03-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Well the week is almost over so I hope it gets better for you.

On the wheel bearing, I have read that if you jack the front of the car up, put it on jack stands, e brake on, start the car up and put it in drive. Just let it idle and go listen by each wheel. It isn't the safest way to do it and I wouldn't do it unless you feel safe doing it. But maybe you can hear which side is making the noise. Just be very safe if you do this, I wouldn't want one of out members getting hurt doing something they read on the net.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:30 AM

Where is the best locations for the jack stands? i know the points for the jack, but where should i place the stands. I would like to give it a try

Quick Reply: This is not my week !