Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Power window regulators on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 05:04 PM

Well no sooner than I get this car the passanger side window goes "POP" then down the hole! After I figured how to pull the panel off I found two plastic clips that snapped. So I went down to the dealer and found that they only sell the whole assemble for around 120 bucks! The window can stay up (thanks to a surgectly placed piece of wood molding) for now. I see on eBay that there are several of these avalible and at more than half the cost. Has anyone tried them out yet? Any info on the quality of them? And last question. How hard is it to replace that whole assembly?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

IF YOU ARE SPEAKING OF THE WINDOW REGULATOR , IT AINT NO BIG DEAL. I HAVE COMPLETED THIS PROJECT A COUPLE OF TIMES. SECRET IS TO GET RID OF THE DISTRACTIONS. ( NEIGHBORS , HELPERS (STUPID HELPERS ) AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT STOPS YOU FROM PAYING ATTENTION. ) GO FOR IT. PRICE? NEVER BUY FROM GM IF ANYONE ELSE HAS IT. I BOUGHT MINE FROM AN AUTO SALVAGE YARD , THEY HAD A NEW ONE STILL IN THE WRAPPER. YOUR SALVAGE YARD PROBABLY HAS THE SAME DEAL. EBAY HAS SOME GREAT DEALS BUT YOU GOTTA KNOW WHAT YOU CAN BUY IT FOR LOCALLY. SHIPPING CAN BE A BUGGER.....

Old 09-28-2007, 06:35 PM

I'll try the local "Ecology auto Yard". What we used to call the junk yards. I still would like to talk to anyone who has tried the eBay ones. I'm sure they are China repos, but how badly can you screw something like that up?

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

HOW GOOD HAS IT GOT TO BE . THE CAR WILL ONLY LAST SO LONG BEFORE YOU WILL SEND IT TO THE GREAT CRUSHER IN THE SKY. THE ONES ON EBAY ARE PROBABLY THE SAME ONES THE ECOLOGY YARD HAS. WHO EVER IS THE CHEAPEST WILL GET MY MONEY.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

I just had this done on my pax front window. There are 2 styles available. Both will fit, but the later style is improved and more reliable. The old style with a rebuilt motor was $137, and the new style with a brand new motor was $138.A no brain required choice, of course. After seeing it done, I'll do the next one myself, it didn't look too hard.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

AS I RECALL THE REGULATOR FROM THE ECOLOGY YARD COST LESS THAN 60 DOLLARS. ITS STRANGE THE COST DIFFERENCE FROM ONE AREA OF THE COUNTRY TO ANOTHER CAN BE SO MUCH.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:16 PM

done twice now. dr auto parts for the front window and smartpartsaftermarket for the rear. They are very easy to change and the windows go up and down. the motors are a little weaker i think but i still have the original motors that i could probably rig up if need be. bottom line, they were really cheap and they work. nothing worse for me than a 5 year old car with windows that don't work. hope this helps. Ben</span></span> < src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 04-24-2008, 06:45 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Ok, I have had to replace the regulators on my gf's 2dr alero (twice on drivers side and once on passenger side) and as of right now the regulators on both sides are broke. they are the ones from ebay, brand new and didnt even last 1 year. whats the deal with these things?
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>