Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

satellite radio power

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Default satellite radio power

Hey All.

I have a XM Sat Radio, and i'm attemptin to hardwire it into my car. I was talking to the great folks at best buy, and they told me i must ground the ground wire, and connect the power wire to the ignition wire undr the dashboard.,

This is were my question lies. I own a 99 4d Olds Alero v6. Wondering how the heck i find this igntion wire and how i go about connecting thew power into this source. As you can most likely tell.. I'mnot the most car literate person on these forums.

Thanks for any and all help

vz

Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

You don't have to use an ignition wire. You can use the power wire for the cigarette lighter outlet. It is really easy to do, just find the power wire and splice into it, don't tape it, use a butt end connecter. Then ground your ground wire. That way you will have power when the key is on and you don't have to mess with the ignition wires.

I can get you pictures on how to take the cubby out to get the cig lighter outlet out if you need. Let me know.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:16 PM

Yeah what he said stay away from the ignition wire you can even splice it into the radio power wire. Haven't had my Alero for 4-5 years but I think there's either a red or gray wire to connect to I did that and ran my LED's of the cigarette wire

Old 01-17-2010, 01:14 PM

Ok. Good to know to stay away from that. See i originally tried to wire thru the cig outlet wiring, but I had a freak accident where something fell that was sitting on my battery and touched the terminals as i was working. I think i jjust blew a fuse, but since my car knowledge is slim to none..

It was the cigarete outlet on the right front side. Now neither cig outlet is functional. Is this as simple as replacing a fuse and how do i go bout doing this. All answers are awesome and appreciated.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:16 PM

ALSO-- since the issue that disable my cig outlets, Ive been having aproblem with my right brakelight. It lights up when I am in drive, but will not intensify as i hit the brake pedal. It is the middle red bulb, and ireplaced it twice. Like i said, it will light up, just will not brighten as it should when I am braking.

Any ideas, and could it be related?
THANKS

Old 01-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have my owners manual in front of me now, but the fuse boxes are in the sides of the instrument panel, you will see the covers when you open the drivers and pasenger doors. Your manual will have (in the back) a section showing which fuse powers what item, find the cig fuse, pull it out and put in a new one of the same size. No tools needed, fuses are available at any auto parts store, walmart, target, etc.
The brake light could be related, but I would replace the cig fuse first and maybe that will fix it.